whole hog cooking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! there were no scraps. heck while my buddy and I were deboning it there were people standing around knowing on the bones in the pile for the hunting dogs.

here is the cooker that I use. it belongs to my buddy's buddy. LOL! I broke it in for him a few months ago. then had to use it again for their hunting club dinner. felt great at the end of the day when the club president said that was the best food they have had at their dinner in many years. and for me to please come back and do it again. they provided everything I needed, except beer.

https://www.agrisupply.com/pig-cooker/p/56200/&sid=&eid=/

That looks great . I've been having a few wild hogs tearing up some of my property . I set 2 traps last Saturday night and Sunday morning I had 7 30 lbers in them . All cleaned and processed by 1:00 . I kept 3 for the freezer and took the rest and had sausage made.

Paul Marx said:
That looks great . I've been having a few wild hogs tearing up some of my property . I set 2 traps last Saturday night and Sunday morning I had 7 30 lbers in them . All cleaned and processed by 1:00 . I kept 3 for the freezer and took the rest and had sausage made.
Where you at Paul? Let me know if you need some help with that?!

the ones i have seen consist of lots of rebar, heavy gauge hog wire panels that are burried in the ground, and a gillatiene type door with trip wire. i have also seen some catch'em alive deer traps used in deer collaring/tracking research.

I have seen the "traps" that are really just pens that have a funnel shaped fence leading to them with a gate at the mouth. After the hogs are inside you close the gate or have the gate close behind them by the hog setting off a trip wire.

I know this is reviving an old post, but, who can pass up a chance to have some PORK ???

This is a 96 pound domestic pig that I cooked at one of my "Craftsmen Get-Togethers" a few years back.
It fed a very hungry group of 125 people with only a few scraps left over.

Equipment: Large homemade cooker that I borrowed from a friend.
10 gallon water bath in the bottom.
propane flame bar for the main heat source. Wood rack to hold the smoking logs of your choice.
This one I used oak with the bark removed. 4"x18" seasoned firewood pieces.
Hickory and fruitwood is not as harsh on the pallet.
Cooked skin side up at 350* for 6 hours. NOT checking it every 20 minutes. (just set it and forget it).
Only salt and pepper was added to the belly side - no fancy rubs or spices. Plain 'n Simple.
It has 4 large very accurate thermometers to closely monitor the inside temps.
IF YOU ARE A LOOKIN - IT AIN'T A COOKIN !!!

After 6 hours, the internal temp was taken in several places - 165* to 170*.
heat turned off, lid left open to let it all rest. A long stick was used to smack all the
hands that just wanted a "quick taste" of some of that hot cracklin skin LOL LOL
I tell you wot, it was some kinda GOOD !!!

Attachments

• scans0001.jpg
    scans0001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 790
  • scans0005.jpg
    scans0005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 790
  • scans0002.jpg
    scans0002.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 790
  • scans0004.jpg
    scans0004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 790
  • scans0003.jpg
    scans0003.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 790
For anyone that has never tasted whole roasted pig, you are missing out on some good eating!
It got popular enough around here that a local farmer rents out pig roasters, and will supply the pigs ready to go.

I was stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico back in the 80s with the Navy and had the honored
opportunity to attend an authentic pig roast.

It consisted of a big pit constructed of cinder blocks with open pit charcoal.
on this brick structure was some welded brackets that held a 2" pipe
from one end to the other, just like a rotisserie . . .
Only, there was no electric motor.
it had a car steering wheel welded to one end.
on a big table, the pig carcass was skewered to the pipe and stuffed with all kinds
of fruits such as lemons, mango, lemon grass, etc.
Okay - here is the fun part !!!
the pig on the pole was lowered to the rack over the coals . . . .
One man sat in a chair and turned the steering wheel by hand to rotate the pig.
Here is the rub - - - every 5 minutes or so, the crowd yells out in Spanish DRIVE THE PIG - DRIVE THE PIG
and he is given a shot of Don Q 151 Rum
Funniest thing I have ever seen.
When the guy is too drunk to DRIVE THE PIG - - - he staggers up and someone else takes his place.
This goes on for several hours !!!! until the pig is done.
I know that different parts of the country have all kinds of techniques to roast a whole pig.
But this one must top the list of everyone having the MOST FUN !!!

Latest posts