Apple Chips - - - how do you make them ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
my wife has become addicted to the store bought apple chips in a bag
that resemble potato chips . . .
Apple Chips.jpg
Years ago, I made some in the dehydrator but they were so hard and tasteless
I never tried it again.
I just now tried cook some thin slices in oil like you would potatoes, that was a BUST.....
SO - digging out my dehydrator now and will give it another try . . .
do any of you have success with dehydration that resembles the Chips in a Bag ???
Several tips on YouTube and other recipe sites that use the oven etc.
I know that a quick dip in lemon juice or Vitamin C tablets crushed in some water
will preserve the color somewhat.

Edit #1: well, skip the dehydrator part - - - I can't find it. Must have gone to the
Good Will when I was in the "downsizing mood" a few months ago.
so, I guess in the oven to dry out ???
also, what makes the best chips ? tart Granny Smith or Red Delicious apples ?
Edit #2: Tried in the oven for 3 hours @200* with the door cracked 1/2".
They turned out rubbery..... a nice snack, but don't have the crispy crunch like
store bought . . . . I am now thinking they may be freeze dried ???
oh well - - - - we will just keep buying the bags LOL.

I believe they're done with a dehydrator but I think you'd have to do a lot of trial and error to get the moisture content right. Things like variation on the thickness of your slices, outside temp/humidity, type/brand dehydrator used, etc is going to affect your drying time so it's probably going to be difficult to get a "recipe" that works every time. I've tried some bananas and a few other fruits but was never real happy with my results. Search on drying fruits with a dehydrator and you might find some new ideas to try. https://www.easy-food-dehydrating.com/dehydrating-fruit.html

the biggest thing with the dehydrator is consistency in the thickness of each slice. you have to keep checking and removing as they are ready. i hand slice my deer jerky, so after about 7 hours i start pulling pieces off. then let lem rest for about 24 hours before i eat.

the biggest thing with the dehydrator is consistency in the thickness of each slice. you have to keep checking and removing as they are ready. i hand slice my deer jerky, so after about 7 hours i start pulling pieces off. then let lem rest for about 24 hours before i eat.

Latest posts