Ice fishing from shore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Back in late fall of 1985 my dad and I went to try our luck bass fishing on a private pond in rural Lake County, IL. Back in the day this pond was one of two that the previous owner had stocked with bass and trout. The trout had all since died out and there remained pan fish and bass in these two ponds. These two ponds are now on the property of a large farm/horse farm conglomerate who, with their security force allow no access back there any more.

It was a brisk Saturday morning and decided we would fish and then stop by the Hunt Club to finish off a small project we had started the day before. We got to the pond and found it covered with a skim ice. We decided to just go finish our project and call it a day. While we sat at a bar for lunch we started telling this tall tale to anyone that would listen. Several hours and numerous beers later we had compiled quite a story.

A year later there was a fibber’s contest sponsored by some Wisconsin outdoors magazine and my dad submitted our story. He won first place, got published and won a deep cycle marine battery for his submission.

So I submit unto you, his version of our story:

https://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/flounderhead59/?action=view&current=fishermanlie542x714.jpg

I cannot wait for the ice to build up a little more - we have been doing this for years (A hair jig with a Chunk Trailer works best)

Right now it is all dinks, but another week and we will be into the 4-8 lb bass big time