Second Bilge Pump Midboat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemmy

Reaction score
For what I’m planning on doing I’ll be blocking the little drainage channels that run under the ribs on my Lowe. I don’t want water building up there so planning on second small bilge right before it’s dammed. (There is side openings, but this would be blocked by the ribs)

I figure a second bilge would be safe as a backup anyway, but needed in this case. What I’m wondering if it would be better to do a thru hull fitting there in the middle or run a line to the stern and into a “T” fitting in the stern’s pump tube?

Thanks,

Craig
Dover, FL

Will the water actually back up deep enough to trigger the float switch or will it eventually run over the rib to the back of the boat? My Lowe has a floor so the water runs down those channels to the back of the boat and my bilge pump back there still needs a couple of inches before it will float enough to trigger the pump. In the middle of the boat, there might not be enough angle to create a deep spot to trigger the float switch. As for the line, just be careful you don't angle it up to high or you could get an air bubble in the line and the pump might not be able to get the water past it. I had that happen on another boat and luckily found out when it was sitting in the driveway after a downpour. I had left the drain plugs in and I heard a buzzing sound so I went to check it out and the pump was running but the water couldn't get past the air bubble so it would have killed the battery eventually. Test out your setup in the driveway before you put the boat in the water just in case. My line goes up over the stern and is tied off to the motor bracket so I don't have any thru hull fittings. I think you would want to keep the line as short as you can though.

Just plan for the day you take a wave over the bow.

Maybe install a drain plug in your bulkhead so you could let it drain to the stern while you get the bow up.

Thanks Guys,

Yes safety is certainly part of it, especially in Florida as our lakes are like dish pans: shallow and little structure. Flat and shallow can get nasty if the wind comes up.

I have read up on some of the small bilges, some say that they operate in 3/8” of water. Of course that may just be advertising, I’ll have to read some reviews I guess.

Thanks Again,

Craig

I would be far more inclined to make it drain, than install a bilge mid-ship.

Firstly, it would be hard to get to for future service. Secondly, it will only pump down to 1/2" of water or so. You do not want a pool of any quantity sitting in your boat, anywhere. Your flotation foam will soak it up and it can mildew.

The Rule 900gph ‘LoPro’ picks up to maybe 1/2” and is automatic. I posted about it recently, found ‘em for $60-something shipped.

I am a firm believer in not tying ones bilge exit hose into the other bilge pump’s overflow line. And if anything, I’ll pop it out the other side of the boat, so if the boat is heeling I still retain my pumping capability.

Latest posts