Installing depth finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’ve been working on a 1984 Monarch 16’ extra wide for a few months now. Mostly catching the motor up on maintenance 1992 Yamaha 40 hp. Got my navigation lights wired today. Now I’m ready for my depth finder. My dilemma is mounting the transducer. It’s a skimmer that goes on the transom. The thick part of the transom doesn’t go all the way to the floor leaving me with just the aluminum to mount to. I hate the thought of poking holes down there. I’m thinking of stainless screws and permatex the heck out of it. What would be the best permatex for sealing around the screws? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Jim said:
http://sternsaver.com/

Or

http://m.sternmate.com/?url=http://www%2esternmate%2ecom%2f#2806

Are those a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, never knew this existed.

OP I had regular clear silicone on some screws I shot into the cab of my truck that lasted the whole 15yrs I owned that truck.

Do as little hole making as possible, but don’t sweat it.

I glued on a block of epoxied wood for this purpose. I just used cheap epoxy glue. It is holding well. A few squirts with green camo paint & it blends right in.

If you use Permatex, it would be wise to use something like Ultra Grey that is designed for aluminum. Some of that stuff is terribly acidic.

I would probably try to glue a hunk of cutting board on first with epoxy or 5200. If the glue doesn't work you could use screws or rivets. The plastic allows you to swap, adjust, or move transducers easily without poking more holes in the hull.

You can have a welder tack a block of aluminum to your transom too. That's what came on some boats.

Awesome! I really appreciate all of y’all’s ideas. I do want to upgrade some day. It’ll be a lot easier if I don’t have to put holes in my boat now. I have a neighbor that works at one of the big home improvement stores. She’s manager of the lumber department. I’m going to see if they have a piece on composite decking or something similar I can epoxy to the boat. Thanks again guys for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Update: I got gift cards for Christmas and found the small Stern Saver for $30 at Bass pro. No one else had them in stock due to popularity I was told. The kit has everything needed to install. The material has holes in the back with ridges which you fill with the epoxy. Super easy to install. Put it on my boat yesterday and this morning I pulled and pushed my boat when I tested it. Hint soak the epoxy tube in a cup of hot water for a few minutes it’s a job pushing it through the mixing tube. I’ll definitely post another update if it fails but it’s on there solid. Just thought I’d share.

I put a depth finder on my aluminum drift boat. Modern adhesives would work fine. I like the idea of adhering a small block to the transom and putting screws into. My current set up is piece of cedar lumber with the transducer mounted to it and couple of screws for the clamps to hold the cable. I use a large C clamp to hold it in place. Drift boats are only used at relatively low speeds under power with a small outboard or on rivers.

In the last 2-3 years I've junked out SEVEN glas boats that I got cheap/ free for parts/ trailers/ motors, and they all suffered the same major problems. One is wood transom water damage, usually resulting from transom penetration due to accessories.

I also bought (and need to sell) a 58 Crestliner aluminum "Flying Crest." It has SEVERAL stern penetrations

The point? I bought a Crestliner Voyager that had had a speedo? depth sender? mounted, they had used that teflon like industrial material (name presently escapes). It is a plastic product used in mills around here for various things on the "line." They mounted a vertical piece up on the wood, with a spacer to place it against the hull which makes up for the thickness of the transom wood. No penetration below water line.

I see no reason you could not bend up an aluminum bracket that would do nearly same thing.

Mount the transducer inside the hull...

With Foam http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/2020/06/27/installing-a-transducer-inside-the-hull-new-method/

With Toilet Bowl Wax http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25767

I did one inside the hull with a hot glue gun that worked, just make sure to start with a big pile of hot glue and press any bubbles out.

you can go with a magnetic mount or the glue on sternsaver mount.i have one but never used it.i went with a spring loaded transducer mount.if i hit something with the transducer it flips up and puts no stress on the actual trans or the transom.

Update: The stern saver is still holding on strong. I ended up in some pretty rough water a few times on the lake and thought for sure I was going to beat everything off the boat. But my transducer is still there. Just thought I’d share.

The sternsaver is the real deal. If put on properly it won’t go anywhere. Had both on my hull for 2 + years they aren’t going anywhere.

Latest posts