Floor covering - carpet, EVA foam, or paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attwanl

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Quick question, I’m in the process of a redo on a 1548 polar Kraft mod v.
Boat is totally in pieces, once I put floor pan and side back in I going to cover floor and casting decks.
What are everyone,s preference as why?
Carpet....not my favorite, it and noise damper and insulator.

Paint ......economic, but gets scratches, fades.

EVA foam decking.....expensive and don’t know how durable it is.

Painting seems to be the only one easy to redo when the time comes down the road.
Any input will be helpful.

Thanks
Griver

Material selection usually is a combination of the owners preference for cost, durablilty, ease of installation.

There is an engineering joke about 3 factors of a design - good, fast, cheap - but you can only have 2.

I go for low cost & ease of installation myself, as who knows how long you will have it.

You didn't mention vinyl as an option. Perhaps that was on purpose, but if not, I have it on my boat and like it a lot. Easy to clean and so far it has worn well. I don't know about installation as I've never done that.

Thinking about it, paint has a lot going for it in the long run. It can be relatively inexpensive and easy to refresh when needed.

Paint gets hot. Carpet, hydro turf, or vinyl r not that hard to install. I have vinyl in my cockpit and carpet on my decks. I installed carpet w 2 face tape and spray adhesive. Pretty easy. I will b going to hydro turf this summer. 400$. Maybe. My biggest issue in ga is hot deck. Would like some cushioning. Pay once, cry once. Go w hydro turf

Thanks for the input....didn’t think about vinyl or using 2face tape for the carpet. Removing the old is a pain.
Thanks again

I think the carpet is also quite good. I used this Industrial Supply HQ Deluxe Boat Carpet for a long time. Installation is a breeze, as well as cleaning and maintenance.

Well I finally got the time and weather corporation I painted the inside of my boat.
0B195F39-7806-4927-8786-83A9ED2DB6B2.jpeg
93F78421-E28A-4682-B0B6-4619D3D09B1B.jpeg
F54D5784-61D6-43FD-A5E7-B975F19BC0E5.jpeg
I hope it’s as durable as they claim, it sure would be a pain to redo.

Thanks
And yes glue was a pain to get off... wire wheel then a flapper sanding pad, and just before primer, I washed it done with acetone.

Emmablaker said:
I'm trying right now to renovate the boat that I got as an inheritance from my father who passed away last month. The most challenging part so far has been to paint the interior as it's made out of wood and I'm not sure what kind of paint should I use.

Has it been painted before? Is it peeling off? Send some pics.

Latest posts