LEAKS! 12ft myers 1964

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mErcMaN1o9

Reaction score
I have a 12ft 1964 myers. I had this boat with just a trolling motor for a while and no leaks then i got a 9.9hp and it started leaking a little so i put jbweld on it that helped for a couple of trips after about half a year it was leaking really really bad so i bought a new boat and the leaking boat has been sitting but what is something i can do to stop the leaking?

That was quite possibly the longest sentence I have read in years!

Where is it leaking? How about some pictures of the location?

CarlF said:
That was quite possibly the longest sentence I have read in years!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the hull rated for 10hp or more? Sounds like it's flexing quite a bit

You could:
  • Re-Buck some or all of the rivets
  • Keep throwing JB-weld and silicone at it
  • Use steel-flex (good) or truck-bed-liner (iffy) to seal the hull
  • Paint it and sell it to an unsuspecting newbie

You should be able to fix the leaks with a little work. There are about 100 posts on here about how to find and fix tin boat leaks. One suggestion that really works is to partially fill the boat with water and let it sit for about an hour - craw under with a market and you will find all the major leaks. Fix them and do it again until no water seeps out.

How many rivets are leaking?
Given that the hull is 44 years old, it may just simply be wore out.
Hate to say it, but sometimes we just need to accept the fact that a boat has served its useful life & its time to recycle it.

I would try and do what ever it takes to keep my tin on the water
3M5200,
Weld them,
Try some of the other quick fixes.

Jon Boats live for ever!!!

My Oldest is a 1965 model and still not a leak! And when it does begin to leak,

I'll "Ford" it
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

mErcMaN1o9 said:
Its rated for a 10hp so i put a 9.9 on it but the boat is a 1964 and the engine is a 2008.
if the engine is a four stroke, it will be heavier than the two stroke it was rated for.