foam on the deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elopomorph

Reaction score
I have a question about floatation. The foam on the deck of aluminum boats does not affect the floatation of the boat unless the boat takes a wave over the bow and the boat is swamped. Correct?

elopomorph said:
I have a question about floatation. The foam on the deck of aluminum boats does not affect the floatation of the boat unless the boat takes a wave over the bow and the boat is swamped. Correct?
i was wondering the same thing

Yep, and that's when you'll really appreciate it. Calculate what everything in you rboats costs and decide if you want a chance to save some of it if the boat goes under for what ever reason...

Jamie

Everyone is correct.Foam is to keep the boat floating high enough in the water to bail out when it swamped.I have used pink or blue insulating foam glued together with 3M 5200 marine sealant and wrapped in clear shrink wrap.The shrink wrap helps if you make blocks out of the builders foam.Keeps it together and helps block water absorption.I can't remember the formula for figuring out how much foam is needed per pound,but it isn't much.

Foam is structural in some fiberglass boats.Thought I'd add that for the guys that also have glass boats.

Latest posts