New guy here..** UPDATED With lots of pics...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCR

Reaction score
This is pretty cool.. you guys really got me stoked to do a jon boat mod... So went out and got one ..pretty cheap... =D> spent most the weekend stripping the paint off the outside ...taking it tomorrow to get a couple of "whoops " welded up.. tonight I went ahead and removed the second bench seat.. and "rebucked" the rivets.. been a remodeling contractor/cabinetmaker for the last 15 years ..and it never dawned on me to remodel a boat.. I don't know how I stumbled upon it ..but ran across the "youtube" video with skynard soundtrack ,,and was blown away by alot of your guys/gals work here...now I got the fever...DSCN0690.JPGDSCN0691.JPGDSCN0692.JPGDSCN0693.JPGDSCN0694.JPG

Good Start Man, Im new here, Kind of a dummy when it comes to Tin Boats, but I have one, And want to remove that Middle seat
mind telling me what you meant by "Rebucked " The Rivets, Was wondering what to do about them?? Thanks :)

Arkdave said:
Good Start Man, Im new here, Kind of a dummy when it comes to Tin Boats, but I have one, And want to remove that Middle seat
mind telling me what you meant by "Rebucked " The Rivets, Was wondering what to do about them?? Thanks :)
Well I'm not sure thats the right term.. Basically you take a dolly and place on one side of the rivet and strike the other side with a hammer .. dolly is a chunk of iron that is slightly curved or flat ....like an auto body man would use.....or used to use... pretty easy for the ones you can reach ..but need two people to do the bottom..

so the stripper and saran wrap took the paint off THAT cleanly? Glad I wasted all my time with a wire wheel... I still have arthritis from those 3 days... :(

dyeguy1212 said:
so the stripper and saran wrap took the paint off THAT cleanly? Glad I wasted all my time with a wire wheel... I still have arthritis from those 3 days... :(
amazingly enough ..yes ..a very good portion ..when I pulled back the saran wrap I gave it a light scrubbing with a coarse ss type s.o.s pad... and rinsed with water..

JCR said:
Arkdave said:
Well I'm not sure thats the right term.. Basically you take a dolly and place on one side of the rivet and strike the other side with a hammer .. dolly is a chunk of iron that is slightly curved or flat ....like an auto body man would use.....or used to use... pretty easy for the ones you can reach ..but need two people to do the bottom..

LOL thanks Man, I did paint and body work for 35 years, So I should know what a dooly is, Hammer too I think! :lol:
That thing about putting the wrap over the Paint remover is new to me, Ill try that!! I have two Boats, And am in no Hurry, So I would like to Follow you and Others, As your project moves along, Kind of 'Pick your brain" :D

Welcome to the site.
Nice job,just be careful removing to much.
Are you going to put some type of floor or support where the seat was,looks like the ribs went with the seat?

Zum said:
Welcome to the site.
Nice job,just be careful removing to much.
Are you going to put some type of floor or support where the seat was,looks like the ribs went with the seat?
there will be a floor in it.and the welder is suppose to be welding in a couple of strut supports in it to to take it 's place... the guy thats welding it has about 5 boats sitting there ..I told him what I had in mind and he is helping me in the right direction. I saw one that he was working on that they had chopped a tunnel in it for shallow water ...looked pretty cool and well done ..so I have all the confidence in the world that he will do it right.. Besides he is only around here that can weld aluminum. [-o< :lol:

Arkdave said:
JCR said:
Arkdave said:

LOL thanks Man, I did paint and body work for 35 years, So I should know what a dooly is, Hammer too I think! :lol:
That thing about putting the wrap over the Paint remover is new to me, Ill try that!! I have two Boats, And am in no Hurry, So I would like to Follow you and Others, As your project moves along, Kind of 'Pick your brain" :D
Air craft stripper works the best (for me) .the only reason I use the saran wrap is so the stripper doesn't evaporate too quickly.. kinda keeps the chemicals cooking ...learned that from stripping furniture ...only other tip is to wear heavy Chemical gloves(not latex dishwashing gloves) Don't wear sandals or shorts ...believe me you will only do that once. :shock:

Well finally got it back from the welder tonight..and started stripping the inside paint...got to dark to quick for pics ...weather looks good ..should make some decent progress on it this weekend..

Too dang nice of a day to do more stripping.. took it out to a Buddy's pond this morning for sea trials and she passed with flying colors.. for some reason I need to figure out this pic posting on this site.it keeps putting them in reverse ....or I do #-o :lol: any way I use a sliding bevel gauge to fine the approximate angle ..but still cut a piece of scrap first to see if I'm right. I dadoed the floor stringers to fit nicely and rest on top of the two floor ribs.. Scribing the side front deck supports along the hull took a couple of passes but we got her..lots of compound miters to boot.. use 1/4 " inch SS. lags and washers to connect the upper decks to the sides.. I dipped them in marine epoxy before screwing them in ..wipe off the squeeze out immediately after they cinched up.. gave all the raw wood 3 coats of spar varnish after mock up and before setting them permanently.. just finished squirting the top sides with 3 coats tonight but was getting kinda dark to see the spray from the hvlp so will have to give one more coat tomorrow.. of there is also 2" foam under the ply floor ..

Attachments

• DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0696.JPG
    DSCN0696.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0697.JPG
    DSCN0697.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0698.JPG
    DSCN0698.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0699.JPG
    DSCN0699.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0700.JPG
    DSCN0700.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0702.JPG
    DSCN0702.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0703.JPG
    DSCN0703.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0705.JPG
    DSCN0705.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSCN0707.JPG
    DSCN0707.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 2,486
A few more progress pics

Attachments

• DSCN0708.JPG
    DSCN0708.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 2,478
  • DSCN0709.JPG
    DSCN0709.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 2,478
Very nice work.. I read through your entire post and I was wondering what size boat that is. I guessing either a 1432 or a 1436

1432 or a 1436, it's still nice work and I look forward to seeing more of your post

CGH said:
Very nice work.. I read through your entire post and I was wondering what size boat that is. I guessing either a 1432 or a 1436

1432 or a 1436, it's still nice work and I look forward to seeing more of your post
Thanks and it's 1432..

Latest posts