Motor size for 12' Polar Kraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamar507

Reaction score
Just purchased a 12' Polar Kraft (very heavy boat). Looking to get a motor (outboard) and have seen where a 9 hp might be too much. Is this true? I plan on adding a casting deck, trolling motor, battery and baitwell which should put more weight on the boat. Also 4 cycle or 2 cycle? I can't afford a new motor and have been checking craigslist to find a motor. I will be fishing mostly saltwater areas in coastal Florida. Any imput would be appreciated. thanks

i have a very light 12 footer and my old 7.5 wasnt enough to get on a full plane I think a 9 would be good. I'd also opt for the 4stroke but 2 bangers are easyer to work on. it all depends on your personal preference

If it is nearly 60 inches across the top, it very likely has a 36" bottom, (most would call that boat a 1236, for reference). I have seen 1236s rated from 10 - 15 horsepower, depending on brand. Yours is likely 10, as it is probably the 1257 as someone mentioned.

I bet it is the 1257, so most likely rated for 10 hp.
A 9.9 johnson/evinrude 2 stroke would be great.
A good 6 hp 2 stroke would probably move out really good too.

Thanks for the input. I came across a 9.8 mercury but the tilt bracket is broken and the tiller assembly is missing. Any ideas on that? Motor has spark and compression and was stored properly. The other issue with the motor is it is a long shaft and my transom is 16". I will be fishing shallow water and I think the shaft will be too long, plus no tilt at this time. The shaft will extend nearly 14" below the bottom of the boat.

I did not pay anything for the motor and have been trying to find the parts mentioned above.

crazymanme2 said:
I would find a short shaft.If you received the motor for nothing fix it up sell it & get a short shaft.

I agree. Buy what you need. Finding parts and converting the shaft is too much trouble.

Latest posts