Seat mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishfan

Reaction score
I plan on installing seat bases, the 3/4" pin type on my two benches. I will put 1/2" poly sheeting on top of the bench and will fit a smaller piece of 1/2" poly under the aluminum bench. If I attach the bases to that using tee nuts on the bottom, will that be solid enough or should I use 1" pine on the underside of the bench. I know there is foam under the bench. I am only going to remove enough to get a 2X6" piece of poly in.

bassboy1 said:
You are going to need more than 2 x 6 as far as your backer is concerned....
I agree. Try looking in the mod section and you will see some other seat installs, those will give you a better idea of what to do.

I''m a big guy 6'5" and around 300when i put my pedestal seats in I used a stop sing under my floor as a backing the seat was very stable

Is the top piece of poly going to span the length & width of the bench seat? If so, a partial piece of poly on the bottom may be OK if you use bolts for the seat base, going through the top poly, bench seat and bottom poly. Use nuts with the nylock inserts to keep it from coming loose. Not sure what you mean by t-nuts.

seatbacking.jpg

That's exactly what I'm going to do Carlf. Instead of locknuts I'm using tee nuts. They are like a threaded boss with spikes on them, When you draw the bolt tight it pulls the spikes into the material, keeping them from spinning and they wont fall out. Most boat seats use these when you attach a swivel, etc. They usually have a 1" flange that seats against the plywood when they are drawn in.teeNutF.jpg

Have to go with plan B. Will have to cut a hole in the rear of the seat and slide the backer in. Any suggestions on how to cut the 1/2"h by 12"w hole. It will be near the top of the bench on the backside. Shouldn't have any problems structurally. Any ideas on how to patch the cutout when done?

Latest posts