Turning a long shaft transom into a short shaft transom...??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCabMax

Reaction score
I was wondering if i would cause any problems with making my transom shorter. I'm in need of replacing it, and have found a GREAT deal on a short shaft motor, but i have a long shaft transom. If i was to build it back as a short shaft transom, what kind of problems would i encounter, if any?? Are there any advantages to a long shaft transom, over a short shaft?? Its on a 17' Alum Crestliner. Thanks!!

Pics of the boat would help.If the transom is just tall in the middle I see no reason it wouldn't hurt to make a short.But if its tall all the way across than you would loose freeboard in the back.(Meaning water would come over the back easier)

crazymanme2 said:
If the transom is just tall in the middle I see no reason it wouldn't hurt to make a short.But if its tall all the way across than you would loose freeboard in the back.(Meaning water would come over the back easier)

Also you would lose some of the strength of the transom that would need to be made up somehow. If it is raised in just the center then I don't see a problem, however if as stated above you taking 5" off the entire transom, you will lose freeboard and your transom will be weaker. And since it is a 17' boat I'm assuming your wanting to put on something over 40hp and that could cause major problems.

More info needed.

I would only drop the middle of the transom down enough to fit the shorter shaft. Its already lower in the center than it is on the outsides. Yes, i would be putting a 65 horse motor on it. I'll take a picture of the transom tonight. Thanks guys!

What would your outside height of your transom be? I understand the center would be 20" to accommodate a short shaft but what would the height be outside of the cut out?

His transom will be shorter than 20" if he's going with a short shaft motor.He wants the cavitation plate even or just above the bottom.

You know I'm so used to working on fiberglass boats that what we call a short shaft (20") is really considered a long shaft. Also what we call a long shaft (25") is really the extra long.

So in this case he would have a transom height of 15" give or take at the cut out.

I just poured a solid transom in a boat with a 16" transom and I had to brace and bolt it to keep it from flexing the aluminum. He was only putting a 30hp on it and that seem just about right. However it is plenty strong. However your not pouring glass. So until we have the total height of the transom I/we still could not answer.

Here's a picture of the transom. The center of it where the motor goes is 21". I'm not sure about the outside height. Juding from the picture, I would say about 25"-27"? The more i'm thinking about this, the less i think i'm going to do it. I think i'll just wait and find a nice long shaft motor.

Oops, i forgot to post this pictures... here it is.

vvvv002.jpg

I think you would be ok with it. My only suggestion would be to add a brace towards the bottom of the transom that would bolt through the transom to keep it from pulling away from the back skin.

Latest posts