So how much is this going to cost me?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkynathan

Reaction score
When I backed the trailer in tonight, I apparently went off the BIG 14" dropoff instead of the "little" 8" dropoff at the end of the ramp. Turns out the "end" of that ramp is about exactly where my trailer needs to be to load the boat. Anyway, I had to put my Escape in 4x4 and jerk it a little bit to get the trailer up the dropoff.

Found out when I got home that I've bent something on the drivers side of the trailer, because that wheel is skewed about an inch (front of the tire points out an inch). I didn't get to look much tonight since it's dark, but I'll check it out first thing in the morning. My quick glance tells me everything is kosher except the axle. I would think that since I made it 35 miles home the bearings aren't shot. I guess I did burn wear down about 2/3 of a tire on that drive.

Any ideas on how much an axle costs and where I can get it? Are there online sources for this, or do I have to get bent over by someone in town for the part?

The axle will probably need to be replaced.Get the measurement between from the center of the spring to the other.Then find a local Northern Tool and find one that measures the same.You could check their website before going.The spindles may be different size from your current ones so you may need hub kits also.I would replace that tire and have both rims checked to make sure they are not bent or warped.

i replaced a complete axle assemly for a customer a couple of months ago, cost at a local trailer builder was 95 bucks, came with axle, bearings, hubs, springs and new lug nuts. just have to start calling around.
easy job, took less than 10 minutes and was out the door.
definitely have the wheels checked like ben2go said, good luck

Check Farm Supply stores, Orschliens, Tractor Supply etc and google Redneck trails, they sell parts retail and wholesale. They are a large parts place with several locations. but replacing the axles can be pretty easy on most trailers. Maybe even check for someone close by that builds small trailers they can order what you need, I would also go with a heavier axle.

https://www.redneck-trailer.com/

A couple pictures so you can see the damage.

...and yes, I know that my passenger side tire is bald. I'm hoping to make it through the season so I can replace it over the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1170 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1170 (Large).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1171 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1171 (Large).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1172 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1172 (Large).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1173 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1173 (Large).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 536
Yep that aint right. As above look around you can usually find a complete axle for about $100 that will have everything you need and just R&R it.

Gotta love power loading, which was probably the cause of the 14" drop off. :evil:

Here's the damage to the axle. The Liquid is WD-40.

Think there's any chance I could just find the tube locally? It would be nice to just swap the hub assembly onto a new tube.

I'm assuming I need something like this -> https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_523441_523441 but with the correct dimensions if I can't just find the channel.

I'm also not seeing how the hub assembly comes apart...or does my current setup not come apart? It would be nice to salvage the bearing buddies if I can.

2.25" galvanized channel with 0.375" wall
54.25" on center leaf springs
65.125" hub face to hub face

Attachments

• IMG_1177 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1177 (Large).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1176 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1176 (Large).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1175 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1175 (Large).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1174 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1174 (Large).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 476
I went to one of the dealerships in town that deals Shoreland'r trailers today. I was pretty much told that he couldn't/wouldn't help me after he called Shoreland'r. Even if I could identify the trailer model, which I can't, they don't have parts going back that far. The ID tag on this trailer has no information on it; it's all bleached/washed off.

There is one more trailer place in town that I will check out tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work out, I think I'm just going to make the piece. If I can't find hot roll steel channel in the correct approximate measurements, I'll have them bend some 3/16" galvanized plate to the exact size I need. I can drill the holes where they need to be and be done with it.

From what I can see from the pics why can't you get a piece of tube the length & size you need ( inside width looks to be important) & make your own axle?Doesn't look like the spindle was harmed.Piece of tube shouldn't be over $50 or so & you can get it with thicker wall so it doesn't bend so easy.

It ended up costing me about $35 and a few hours of work. It was $25 to have the metal bent and I needed two drill bits. I wish I'd have gone to O'Reilly before I had the metal bent, though. He could have ordered me a round axle with spindles and loose spring perches from Rigid for around $40. This works for now, but I'll probably do that over the winter when I'm not ice fishing.

Latest posts