Securing Trolling Motor Pedal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishshtick

Reaction score
I have Minn Kota Edge 42" bowmount that I want to mount on the front deck of my Tracker 1448 SC. The challenge I am having is that this boat has a mounting base for the trolling motor that is on the left side of the boat parallel to the left gunwale, about a foot back from the tip of the bow and 16" to the left. Its handy that the hull came with this mounting area, but it does pose a bit of a challenge with a cable drive pedal system. Specifically, because the mounting location is a bit back from the point of the bow (by more than a foot), and the cable is only about 5', its impossible to get the pedal to stay centered in front of the bow seat. Indeed, the cable isn't long enough for the pedal to stay in front of the bow seat when the motor is stowed (the length of the motor pulls the pedal back beside the seat) Indeed, the pedal moves all over the place when the motor is deployed or slowed (the motor cable is quite heavy and relatively short).

Fortunately, I think I can fit the pedal slightly off center from the bow seat to control with my left foot, but I think I will need to secure it there to keep it in that semi-convenient location when deploying or stowing. It would be nice to think of a way that the pedal could be mounted for quick release, or at least easy seasonal release for storing.

Do many of you have your pedals mounted permanently or semi-permanently to your decks? What have you used for this sort of attachment? I have considered getting some suction cups (my deck is painted aluminum), or maybe velcro. I also am considering bolts with wing nuts below deck for an option that would probably allow at least seasonal removal. However I cringe a bit at making swish cheese of the deck of my new boat, particularly given that many trolling motors have a life expectancy of a few years (necessitating, potentially more holes for mounting)

What do you think?

I had a similar problem with my bow mount. I couldnt find a place to mount it permanently because the deck hatches I made were big and there wasnt enough room and I couldnt find a place it was comfortable. I tried velcro, but there was not enough of a flat part on the pedal, and then it ripped my paint off the boat, lol.

I wound up leave it removable, it isnt even attached to anything but the motor and the battery. I just leave it that way, trailers fine and I can move it around if I want when I fish. I actually like it that way, and I dont seem to have any problems.

Hope this helps.

I have one of those powerdrives with a very light foot pedal.
I took a peice of rubber mat(heavy ones,for under cattle)and attached it to the bottom of the pedal(there was a place for screws).
It kinda sticks to my painted aluminum and it's heavy now so it doesn't move so much.

I had the same problem you do now.. I just screwed my pedal down to the floor with 2 self tapping screws. That's enough to hold it and it won't move.

What you need to do is get up in the boat with the trolling motor down and place the pedal where you would like it to be. Have someone hold it, or put one screw in to hold it down, then pull the motor up and make sure that the cable will not be too tight when you have it stowed. I've taught myself to steer with both feet, and I honestly use my left foot more now and fish out of the right side of the boat because the trolling motor is not in my way when pitching

What I'm going to do next it put a whole in the floor so that the top of the pedal sits flush with the floor - it will take a lot of stress off your lower back when you stand a lot