Newbie decking question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilber85

Reaction score
Planning on putting some decking in my jon soon, but one thing I cant figure out is how to mount the frame to the aluminum.

I could stick a few bolts in there, but drilling holes in the aluminum makes me a bit nervous. Any way to mount the decking frame to the boat without putting holes in my boat?

What size boat do you have?
Theres people on here that don't use any screws,rivets...to attach there floors,decks to their boats.Just weight and tightness.

I have a 12' v hull about 48" wide. Pics here (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10071)

I was going to just leave the decking in place without any attachments, but I wanted to be sure that the decking wouldnt move around when I walked on it or driving down the road.

I have looked at a lot of pics on here, and it seems most people bolt the decking down to the ribs. The ribs on my boat are pretty flat, with not much room to bolt into, so I figured weight and tightness were going to be my only options. I have some seat mounts, but thats the only thing I could think of that I could bolt into without drilling through the hull.

I was just wondering if anyone on these boards knew some tricks to make it sturdy without using bolts.

i used a combination of a tight fit, and also attaching a 2x2 runner along the bench seats, and then use that as a mounting surface. the only holes i drilled are through the seats. and i made an elongated inboard transom to attach the rear hatches.

Sounds good. I can drill the top of the decking to my seats.

For the flooring I guess I will just have everything measured EXACTLY right and get it as tight as possible.

For the frame, should I just use pressure treated 2x2 or 2x4 and slap a coat of waterproofing on it, or is there a better kind of wood I can use?

If you are going that route with 2x2... just get 2x4 studs (they aren't treated) rip them down to a 2x2 and use a good sealer on them, a couple coats of that or exterior paint will work well for you.