new tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeljames

Reaction score
I just found this site and registered, so hard to find info on tinny upgrades. I got this boat for free off a good friend who just sold his cottage, this boat was in the family for decade. it fits in the back of my truck perfectly. I had plans, alot of plans. but looking at it now, I wonder if its big enough to do anything with, he had used it for years on a flat water shallow lake with a trolling motor. I bought an OMC 10hp for it. I dont think it would cost much to upgrade but even though I've fished off it before, is it worthy to upgrade? all I want to do is remove the benches, install 2 bass boat swivels, create a storage area in between the 2 seats, about 2.5 feet wide, all alumin sided, with a top on it to store life jackets, anchor, rope, maybe snacks. anyways tell me what you think, she's awfully small. her dimensions are.

11 feet 3 inch long (odd length no?)
2 benches
41.5 inches wide floor.
48 inches wide at top of sides max width
15 inches tall transom
10 inch high bench seats

I though it was a v hull looking at the bow, but now looking at it, it's incredibly flat bottom with only a curved floor the last 2 feet towards the front of boat. tell me what you think. is it big enough to warrant to fisherman and a 10hp, should I remove the benches, reinforce that area with a aluminum storeage area from side to side that reinforces and makes that area more usable. thanks for your help and I love this site~!!

Attachments

• front of whole boat.jpg
    front of whole boat.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 543
  • flat bottom.jpg
    flat bottom.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 543
  • rear whole.jpg
    rear whole.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 543
  • transom issues.jpg
    transom issues.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 543
  • bench seat support.jpg
    bench seat support.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 543
  • bench seat.jpg
    bench seat.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 543
  • boat bottom.jpg
    boat bottom.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 543
  • rear of transom.jpg
    rear of transom.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 543
Welcome to the site.
I still call boats like that semi V's,not sure if it's right though.
If you take out them seats,deffinitly reinforce with the decks,like you mention.
Take a look at some of the other boat builds,theres quite a few of them on here,that size.
Good luck and your transom needs some new wood,especially with the 10hp.

boat looks like it could a killer project. Clean it good and then go crazy! :D

A 10hp should be fine on it. Unless a plate on the boat somewhere says otherwise.

I would do as you planned minus the storage. It will just take up too much valuable space in my opinion. Plus two guys, full equipment, gas motor could be too much weight.

You mention that it fits perfectly into the back of your truck. If you plan to haul it that way, remember when you are making your modification plans that you'll have to lift it into the truck once its done. Think about weight and how you will build in the mods and which things will be fixed and which will be removable. I had to deal with this when I did my 1236 because I wanted to haul it on my camper. I can still do that but not without taking some things off the boat. In the end decided to get a trailer because I use the boat mostly when I'm not camping.