what is it called the ones with no steering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
no steering wheels just a stick to steer and a acceleration control??
does anyone have pics to share,, i like that idea that your in front of teh boat and not stuck behind,,,

That is called (drum roll please) stick steer.Everything works just like a standard console.The only thing that's different is the stick and gear part.
check out this link for some info.
https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234156

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/ben_2_go/1027%20Jon%20Boat/sticksteer.jpg

:LOL2:
You're welcome.Stick steer is a little easier to set up IMHO.I did a stick steer set up in a big fiberglass boat that didn't have a console.It was built like a semi V jon but with out benches.It had wood boxes with locking swivel seats.I took and old swivel type trailer tongue jack and used the swivel part to mount the stick to.It would swivel back and allow the seat to turn 360*.The throttle/shift controls I mounted on the left side low enough so that it had full range without interfering with the seat.The only thing was you had to kind of slouch to push the lever to full throttle.Worked fairly well.All the cables were under the floor.It was better than tiller because you didn't have to turn around to look over the other side.I still prefer tiller on boats under 16 feet tho.Unless they are wide.

LIL TRIPP said:
How hard is it to convert these into a steering wheel console type?? What is involved with doing it?? Thanks

Converting a stick steer to wheel should be as easy as replacing the helm(gear box the cable runs to) and adding the steering wheel.I would just buy a good used unit with cable,helm,and steering wheel.

i think we need illustrations !! lol...

steer stick conversion for dummies (ebook).. lol cuz me as a dummie,, would like one,,

Here is the diagram.The part that the steering wheel bolts to is the helm.This is usually the only part that is different in a stick steer set up.

pontoon-steering-diagram.jpg

Latest posts