TRAILER TONGUE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkdave

Reaction score
I haven't started to work on My Tin Boat yet , I have Been Lukeing , Getting Ideas, I want to Start working on the Trailer now, It is too Short For the 14 Foot Tracker I have, When I shove the Winch Post forward enough to fit the Boat, It is right at the Hitch!! Trailer is in Really good Shape, But was made for a 8 foot plastic "BassHunter" , I need you Guys to give me some input on How much Tubeing to add ahead of that Winch Post, I read on here somewhere 5 1/2 feet, What do you Think!! Thanks for your Help :D (I have a 30 foot Boat Shed, So room is not a problem, I just want it to Back right!!)

If it was made for an 8' and yours is 14', I would think you are close since there's 6' difference. You may need to look at moving the axle forward to keep the balance good. Seems like just adding 6 foot to the front and leaving the axle where it is would lead to a heavy tongue. If I were adding an extension to the tongue, I would get the piece of the same size tubing, but I would try to get a 6" piece that was just small enough to fit inside of both pieces so I could really lay the weld to it hot and have the backing there with the inside tubing to give it strength instead of just a butt weld. Then take some flat plates to gusset the outside. You probably only need them on the 2 sides and not really necessary on the top and bottom. Grind the weld down flush where you joined the tubing and lay the flat plates over the top and weld them all the way around. You should have no problem with strength if you do so. Of course this advise is given freely from someone with no professional background in this field and should be used at your own risk.

Thanks Tom. actually I think the Axel will be fine, Who ever did this Mod. just Shoved the Wench post Back to fit the small Boat, And cut the Tongue off!! Boat fits good, Bunks will fit good, but need wood replaced,It just puts the Winch post About an Inch behind the Hitch, I was just wondering about the length of the tongue Ahead of the Winch post, You are right about getting the smaller Tube, Sliding it inside existing one, Welder told me that, He would not Butt weld it, He is good,But Just like me, Not a Boat guy, "YET" :lol:

If that's the case then you probably don't need to add 5.5' to it. Mine only has about 3.5' in front of the post. You could even put a Swing away tongue kit on it to attach an extension. The Fulton ones are designed to have 3' out in front of the hinge. I'm going to install one on mine and it will only have 6" or so from the post to the hinge and then 3' to the tongue. Just a thought. A friend of mine has one on a trailer with a boat bigger than mine and it has been fine for at least 7 years. They bolt in with backer plates on the inside of the tubing and are supposed to be pretty durable. They are rated for 3500 lbs so these little boats wouldn't stress them at all. They are $150 at most places but West Marine has them on sale for $100.

Tom

I'm not sure about the correct tongue length. But I do have a tip, learned and tried from this forum. Go to Walmart and get a chopping block made out of plastic. Rip it down and use it as the carpet on the bunks. The boat will slide a lot eaiser than it did with carpet, and it only cost about $10. Need to remember to counter sink your screws so they dont scratch the boat though.

TrackerTom said:
If that's the case then you probably don't need to add 5.5' to it. Mine only has about 3.5' in front of the post. You could even put a Swing away tongue kit on it to attach an extension. The Fulton ones are designed to have 3' out in front of the hinge. I'm going to install one on mine and it will only have 6" or so from the post to the hinge and then 3' to the tongue. Just a thought. A friend of mine has one on a trailer with a boat bigger than mine and it has been fine for at least 7 years. They bolt in with backer plates on the inside of the tubing and are supposed to be pretty durable. They are rated for 3500 lbs so these little boats wouldn't stress them at all. They are $150 at most places but West Marine has them on sale for $100.

Tom

Thanks again Tom , For the Ideas, That's what im doing now, Fishing for Ideas! I am in No hurry, Weather is cooling Here (Northwest Ar.) Now, And I want to go fishing everyday I can, I have a 95 Fish&Ski I have had since it was new, Wonderful on the Big water,
I want to work on the Tin Boat This Winter, For use in the River Arms Next Spring, Im pretty Sure im Going with "Buffords" Ideas with his 12 foot Mod, I really like it, At least as Far as His cut Away front Seat and Low deck Go, When I get started, Ill Have Pic.s in a thread!! :)

joepowe8 said:
I'm not sure about the correct tongue length. But I do have a tip, learned and tried from this forum. Go to Walmart and get a chopping block made out of plastic. Rip it down and use it as the carpet on the bunks. The boat will slide a lot eaiser than it did with carpet, and it only cost about $10. Need to remember to counter sink your screws so they dont scratch the boat though.

Thanks "Joe" that is one I had not heard before, Ill check that out! I know Bass Pro sells something like that , But surely not for 10 dollars!
I have no Idea if it makes any sense, But I keep wanting to Change the Bunk Boards From the existing 2+4 to a 2+6 , We have some rough Roads around here, And That 2+4 just doesn't look Wide enough on that thin Tin Floor?? :?:

I was probably the guy that posted 5.5 feet in front of the boat, as I don't think anyone else would put it that long. If all you have are nice, relatively steep concrete ramps, 3 feet or so should be fine. I prefer the longer tongue because it gives me more room between the truck and the trailer, so tailgates don't hit, and you aren't constantly backing into the boat when pulling stuff out of the truck. Also, on shallow ramps, it does allow me to launch/load better, although there aren't many shallow ramps where I fish. This morning, however, I launched right after a guy with a 16 foot Carolina skiff, with virtually no tongue. This particular ramp is somewhat shallow, and he had to back in until his front wheels were wet, putting his back axle/differential/brakes etc under water. Even then, he had to power off. I backed in, and my bumper was even with the water, giving me another 2.5 feet before the tires got wet, and my boat was completely floating, held on only by the winch strap. I personally wouldn't have a shorter tongue unless I absolutely had to.

I personally don't like the slicks, but that is just because of the way I launch and load. If I have a second person, I will unhook the winch strap, have him in the boat, and back in until the boat floats off. When I load, sometimes I will power on, and the driver will pull out immediately, without wasting time to hook up the strap. Couldn't do either if you had the slicks. Now, if you do feel you need slicks, the Walmart cutting boards are the way to go. I had them on a previous boat, and if I ever have a boat that I needed to have something other than carpet, I would definitely go with those again.

bassboy1 said:
I was probably the guy that posted 5.5 feet in front of the boat, as I don't think anyone else would put it that long. If all you have are nice, relatively steep concrete ramps, 3 feet or so should be fine. I prefer the longer tongue because it gives me more room between the truck and the trailer, so tailgates don't hit, and you aren't constantly backing into the boat when pulling stuff out of the truck. Also, on shallow ramps, it does allow me to launch/load better, although there aren't many shallow ramps where I fish. This morning, however, I launched right after a guy with a 16 foot Carolina skiff, with virtually no tongue. This particular ramp is somewhat shallow, and he had to back in until his front wheels were wet, putting his back axle/differential/brakes etc under water. Even then, he had to power off. I backed in, and my bumper was even with the water, giving me another 2.5 feet before the tires got wet, and my boat was completely floating, held on only by the winch strap. I personally wouldn't have a shorter tongue unless I absolutely had to.

I personally don't like the slicks, but that is just because of the way I launch and load. If I have a second person, I will unhook the winch strap, have him in the boat, and back in until the boat floats off. When I load, sometimes I will power on, and the driver will pull out immediately, without wasting time to hook up the strap. Couldn't do either if you had the slicks. Now, if you do feel you need slicks, the Walmart cutting boards are the way to go. I had them on a previous boat, and if I ever have a boat that I needed to have something other than carpet, I would definitely go with those again.

Im sure It was your Post I was Reading when I saw the 5.5 Feet, And I think im going with the long Tongue also, For all the reasons you Stated above!! I have plenty of Room, and I think it is a very good Idea!!I am mostly by Myself when I fish, To launch I hook a long rope on the Boat, And to my Pickup Bed, Back in till it floats off, Let it float away a little then pull up away from the water, Get out and lead the boat to the Bank, Then pull the truck and trailer off the Ramp, To load I put the Boat on the Bank, Back the trailer in, get in Boat and power on, Hook the winch, Walk the Tongue , sometimes the bed and over the side into the cab, Almost never get my feet wet, Longer Tongue will help that too!! Thanks for the Advice !! :D

I fish/boat the same as you and load/launch the same.
I wish my tongue was longer,I only have about 2' above the winch.
Sometimes when I have to get my boat to load,I have to get out on the hood and jump for shore.
Plus a longer tongue would make it easier to backup,IMO.

Zum said:
Sometimes when I have to get my boat to load,I have to get out on the hood and jump for shore.

You got it Man, Im not an expert on Tin Boats And Trailers, But I was raised and lived on a Farm most of my life, And well know the Machines-Trailers Whatever , With the Short Tongue were Always Hard to Back in the Shed!!One more Reason to Use a buncha that 8 foot piece of Tubing I have !! :D

Zum said:

Well I have the Long Tongue this Morning, Couldn't get a welder to help yesterday because of the Holiday, So I removed the old Hitch, Shoved the New tube in there, Shimmed it a little and Put 3 good bolts through the Whole thing, Cleaned it up with the Grinder, Bolted on the New Jack and Hitch, Extended the wiring , And called it a day!!

I now have 50 in. Of Tongue ahead of that Winch Post with nothing on it but the Jack, And I have it right against the Winch Post!!
I am going to take it to the Lake tomorrow and see how it works, And how many "What kinda Nut does That " looks I get, (It does look scary) And either Cut it off some or Paint the Whole thing !! :wink:

Latest posts