"new" 1973 Seaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokiecook

Reaction score
Hello, I've been a member for a couple days now and have been stalking all your mods looking for inspiration on what I can do with a 12' jon I have. I've had the boat for almost 8 years now and finally live in a location where I can use it. So far I've primed all but the front section, ran out of paint, and cut and sealed a new transom out of 1x6x4' oak. I've debated on putting in removable flooring but being a poor starving college student I might just skip the flooring and lay down some carpet. Would like to split the center seat like Bufford's for battery storage/electrical locations. Looking at various fish finders for under $150 leaning towards humminbird products, maybe the piranhaMax 170 or 525, but open to all opinions. The boat will be wired for nav lights, interior lights, fish finder 12v plug-in, and possibly a for a radio and removable livewell pump. New seats are in the near future as sitting on the benches shortens my fishing time. The boat will be powered by a 3.6HP Sears i believe from the same era of the boat. Its been sitting for decades and all it took was some fresh gas and a little carb cleaner and fires right up.
newpaintjob.jpg

newpaintjob2.jpg

Always open to tips, comments and concerns.

Thanks,
Alex

:WELCOME:

Nice ride. :lol: I like Hummingbird products.Your plan for cutting the bench is fine but there should be flotation foam in there.You can add more foam in under the floor to make up for what is removed from the bench.Just use sheets of builders foam.

Hummingbird makes some great products. Some you can get for $69 and they work just fine. But it really depends on if you want depth or true fish finding ability.

Make sure that if your removing the seat you shore up the front end. If just cutting out and leaving the outside of the seat attached you should be good.

Good luck.

What great boat, very clean! Can't wait to see what you come up with for it. I love my little 12' boat, a larger one would be fine too but this one takes me all over the place from rivers to lakes, and it is very comfortable.

Let me know if I can help.

Bufford in Orlando

sorry for the lack of updates, its goose season here so everyone knows where I'm at when I'm not working. Hopefully more to come soon

Took a little bit of my Sunday afternoon and worked on the boat, since you can't hunt here on Sundays, this is what i accomplished. Still haven't determined what depth finder and am constantly looking for a wheel chair battery... I think I'm going to vote against cutting the center seat down for now, would much rather spend the nice fall days trying to hook into a wall hanger instead of tinkering with the boat. I'm sure there will be plenty of cold winter days for me to work on it coming up shortly.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

The transom is a 1"x6"x4' piece of oak that I water sealed and then persuaded into place, the boat is much more rigid then before with the new timber in it. Also installed a 12v plug on the back for a spotlight. Am having a hard time finding a anchor light that comes with the base but have installed the Nav lights after painting them to match the boat. Havent done any wiring yet, due to not deciding on a battery/and location.

Thanks,
Alex

Latest posts