Boat Cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joepowe8

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with boat covers? I normally just use a tarp or a fitted boat cover, but they are aggravating to use. I have in mind a PVC frame that is molded to the boat that has a tarp rapped around it. Sorta like a dog pen roof or something. Then just lift the frame/cover on and off with maybe front and rear tie downs.

Hopefully gona get some PVC tonight. If I can figure something out, I'l try to post some pictures.

A friend of mine takes out the seats and puts PVC pipe in the hole sticking up over the boat like this

|---------| ( where the PVC runs the length of between the seats and connected to the poles ) Then he pulls the tarp, tightly over that to make the top of the boat look like a basic tent and bungee cords it to the trailer. I have never done this though.. but it seems to work fine for him..

I bought a cover from Cabela's that's pretty good. It can be trailered also although I haven't done so (Cabela's Jon Boat Cover Item:IK-019773). You need to buy the motor cover separately. I fashioned a support system for the cover to shed the rain and snow out of 1/2" PVC pipes and 1"x1/2" PVC tee's. I cut roughly 1/3 of the long side (the 1" side ) of the tee out to create a "C" shape (I made 8 of these). The "C" snaps over the gunnels and the 1/2" pipes fit in the tee to make a bow across the boat. Maybe this isn't too clear. Hopefully the attachment will make more clear, otherwise I can post pics if you want.

View attachment pvc.pdf

I had a custom Sunbrella cover made for my Triton but I've used tarps on some of my other boats. I always rigged up some sort of uprights and used nylon rope between them to keep them from sagging in the middle.

It sure is nice to have a form fitted cover. It fits on the boat like a glove and all I need to do is slide two aluminum posts into grommets in the center then tighten the straps.

I have a 16 foot 1972 Yazoo. Bought a boat cover from Academy Sports. None of the covers I have seen, tighten up enough to keep water from puddling and putting pooches in the fabric. Mine did it so, I built a single spar frame that runs down the middle of the boat that supports the cover and keeps it from puddling water. Used
1 1/4" pvc conduit with a few standard pvc tees and elbows. If I knew how to post a picture, I would. If you help me out, I will send you a pic. Maybe a private message with an email address. The spar comes apart and goes in the back of my Tahoe.

Joe here is something I made and works very good.

Attachments

• DSC00075.JPG
    DSC00075.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 747
  • DSC00070.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 747

Latest posts