possible new boat, need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankyfan100

Reaction score
So i may be able to grab this boat for free. its 12 ft long and is 47 inches at the rear. however, there are 2 large dents in the front. Are these fixable? how would i go about banging them out?
Here are some pics. does anyone know the brand?

looks close to mine, but I can't tell.
mine is an Elgin and whats left of the name is located near the transom. also the interior on the one pictured seems dark red, with green. Mine is green, so....maybe.

as for dents others here may have better options, but I say use a large rubber mallet,with a wood bucker and start knocking back in place.

08-21-09_1921.jpg

WOW, that's a big dent! The good news is it doesn't look like there are any major creases in it, but a dent that size will have some expansion. I would use a deadblow hammer instead of a rubber mallet. If you gotta buy one anyway you might as well get the better of the two. You are proly going to need to remove the breasthook to get to the backside good as well.

I would drill out all the rivets along the panels from the bow back to about 6-7 inches past the dent. It is easier to pound out two individual pieces of metal than one big one. Chances are you will need to re-rivet anyway, so you might as well make it easy while doing the work as well. You may have a little expansion that you will need to work out with a dolly and hammer otherwise you may have a slight bulge after the dent is knocked back in place. Maybe not enough to notice tho. If it were me and the rivet holes lined back up I wouldn't worry about it, a small bulge would just be cosmetic anyway.

Very easy to do, proly take about 3-4 hours max, proly even less.

On Edit: I didn't realize it was dented on BOTH sides! Yea, that's gonna take some time, the port side has some pretty big creases/dimples. Still doable tho with a deadblow, dolly and a couple of pieces of hardwood dowel you can shape the end if you need to for the keel area. I would say 6-7 hours for repair.

Latest posts