poor man's poling platform

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Loup

Reaction score
I've been working on this boat for the past couple months on the weekends. I'm getting close to finishing. Essentially, all I have left is to finish the poling platform and install hydroturf. Last week I got the bright idea to try to use an aluminum tailgate extender for a poling platform. I looked in the local Craigslist and found one for $20. I couldn't have purchased the aluminum for that amount. I think I will make the platform a bit narrower (gunnel to gunnel) so that I will be able to step around it so that I can reach the motor trim levers. I also experimented with stepping up onto a 5 gallon bucket from the rear deck. I will cut the platform down a couple inches to about 16" tall making it easier step up onto it. I'll add aluminum plate to the top of the platform.

Kurt

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

This is what I started with:

DSCN0307.jpg

Waterwings said:
Just thought of something. Will it be difficult to run the tiller with the platform hard-mounted in-place? I'm thinking where will you sit?

It will be mounted about an inch from the motor giving more room than pictured. There is room to sit and operate the tiller.

That thing looks like a quick trip into the drink on your first slip or loss of balance.

stinkynathan said:
That thing looks like a quick trip into the drink on your first slip or loss of balance.

We'll see. I plan to test it out before it gets permanently mounted and it will be lower than pictured.

Your boat looks great.
I like the idea and if your boats wide enough,think it will work great.

Latest posts