3M 5200 Sealant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltonsMountain

Reaction score
Just got some of this stuff and would like some help on how to apply it to the bolt area. Do I want to put it on the bolt thread itself or the washer or both? I'm putting in stainless steel bolts throughout the hull and was told that the 5200 would help seal it. All help is much appreciated....

Also, the package states it only bonds to fiberglass or wood, is this going to work on my aluminum boat?

Thanks!

Good luck getting off of aluminum once it is dry. Make sure you coat the inside of the holes you drill and coat every thing. Put a line of it on your bolt and twist it into the hole slowly. This should coat everything and have a little outside the hole so the washer gets a good coat.

Thanks.... I just finished removing the old rusted bolts and am about to install the new stainless ones w/ the sealant. In preparation for the new bolt I was told to sand and then clean the area first. In regards to the cleaning, should I use Acetone or just warm soap and water?

Latest posts