About to re-carpet my decking.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIL TRIPP

Reaction score
I got my Crestliner from my father & not to crazy about the carpet. I have sum spare time now to work on it a little. So my question is... What types of carpet can I put in it & where can I get it? Does it have to be marine grade, etc. I've also seen some people use undercoating instead. That would be easy to keep clean! I think I would much rather go with the carpet again since I've had no problems with it & it want get so hot! But just can't make my mind up. Wanna get some tips from some of u & see what yall use. Thanx

I don't have too much experience with this other than my one boat project but having read a lot on this and other forums, marine carpet is the way to go. From what I've read/heard, going to HD or Lowes and getting indoor/outdoor carpet isn't a good idea. The reviews I've read almost all say that those carpets just don't last long and all that trouble to strip out the original carpet from your boat will just have to be repeated in a couple of years. I suppose there are other factors as well, like whether the boat is stored inside or covered, whether you do a lot of fishing in wet weather, etc. Maybe if kept dry the cheaper grades of carpet might last a little longer but not like marine carpet. Also, good marine carpet doesn't stain as easily from gas, oil or blood. When I did my boat I was just covering flat shapes that I installed in the boat after the carpet was attached. That made it very easy. I suppose when you have to strip out and lay carpet inside a boat rather than carpet flat shapes like I did it must seem like a big project. Having to cut and fold the carpet maybe makes the undercoating seem like an easier solution. Remember if you are standing on the undercoated deck and it is wet it will be slippery - a drag on rainy days getting in and out of the boat or just standing on it to fish. Also, the carpet can hide a lot of sins and if you haven't already stripped your boat you don't know what's under there. There are lots of places to get marine carpet - Cabela's and Gander Mountain carry it but I got mine from a local carpet dealer. I just googled "marine carpet in [my town]" and came up with a couple of local dealers. Marine carpet comes in several grades also and I guess depending on how long you want it to last and how well it works and how much dough you want to spend, there are lots of choices.

Lowe's actually carries a marine grade carpet now - and it's plush and comfy - with rubber backing. Not a bad price either - I was able to carpet a 4x8 sheet of plywood for about $35, with some to spare.

Is the marine grade that lowes has different than the Indoor Outdoor with the rubber backing and the UV resistance?

yea - it's actually all rubberbacked. The indoor/outdoor stuff is not completely backed, when you look at it, it's almost like it's just spotted (even though it looks like the whole thing is backed with rubber.

GNaroz said:
Is the marine grade that lowes has different than the Indoor Outdoor with the rubber backing and the UV resistance?

Yep RUSS is right. Lowes has Marine Carpet, I have not bought any Yet, (that is a long way off for me) But I was in there last weekend looking at Hardwear, And saw it, I liked the speckled Gray Color I saw, Dont know how many colors they have !!

Now they do have different stuff... they have the expensive stuff you have to order that comes in different colors - if you want that, there is an online store here in Dalton GA to get it from (do a search on eBay for marine carpet and you'll find them).

The stuff I'm talking about is in 6' widths, and it's on the racks with all the other carpets and gray is the only color I've seen. That's what I used and it is SOFT and plush. Crankbaits still get hung up in it, but they come out much easier than the gray indoor/outdoor carpet they have (and it's cheaper... imagine that)

Latest posts