Newbie...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClamp

Reaction score
My name is Mike and I just found this site this week. After reading around a bit, I decide to join up! Keep up the good work!

I'm looking at a couple boats right now. One is a unknown (to me) year sears 14' with an 18hp 1952 Johnson (the price is right) and the other is a '87 14' Ryan Craft with a 15hp Johnson. Any suggestions for me? I'm looking to do a little crabbing/fishing with my 9yo son and 8yo daughter on the upper chesapeake (near the C&D canal and Turkey Point) I seached for Ryan Craft, but to no avail. Not sure about them ( or the sears for that matter)

told you I was a newb ;)

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome aboard - I fish those areas on occasion. What style hulls are on those boats? i woudl suggest something larger then a 14 foot for the areas you are intending to fish - if you are out there and the wind kicks up you are gonna get wet or worse

Are you from Va? Maryland? Pa?

Please complete your profile

Welcome. I almost have to agree that a 14 is going to be a bit small especially with two kids along. But if taken out on the right day they both could be fine.

Are they flat bottoms, semi v or deep v? That will make a big difference.

Welcome Mike, I'm new also, but I've received tons of knowledge here.

Welcome aboard, Mike.

You didn't mention if you like to tinker with motors?
That could affect your buying decision as well.
There are a lot of good old 2 strokes out there, but they will require
some work sooner or later.
Marine shops generally won't work on 30+ year old motors.
They usually try to sell you a new one!
Not to worry though. They're plenty of hobby mechanics out there too.
Servicing it yourself with the help of sites like this is most economical though.
Just something to keep in mind.

Ok guys..... Thanks for the welcome!

so here's where I'm at...

I want a 16'... But I can afford a 14'. I went to look at the Ryan Craft today and the guy sold it out from under me (while i was driving an hour to go look at it... long story :evil: ) He told me he had another 16' for sale... I was so mad I wanted to hang up and turn around (in his driveway) but the price was right so I went. It's a 16' Landau (not sure what year but def older than '92). It needs a lot of work as far as wood is concerned, But i will most likely rid apart anything I get. It has no motor and although I was trying to find a "package" i think this might be the way to go. the boat looks a little rough. it has a weld repair on the keel that looks like it was done by what I would call a "semi-qualified" person. Also has a couple superficial scratches and dings, nothing to worry about. there is a medium sized dent on the starbord top rail that I'm not sure of. Has no controls but has a smooth functioning steering cable. has 2 livewells, bilge pump, depth/fish finder, a mess of wire, Transom wood is good but I would most likley replace it, and a military surplus trailer with no title.. :roll:

So what do we know about these boats? Are the bones good? is it worth the cosmetic work? I don't want to waste the winter making it look nice if Landau boats are junk, you know?

Sorry to be so needy right off the bat. i'm usually that guy who will just jump in and deal with whatever comes... But not with boating. I take it very seriously!

Thanks!
Mike

Here's some pics of the prospect:
IMG00044-20090910-1125.jpg

IMG00037-20090910-1120.jpg

IMG00046-20090910-1126.jpg

IMG00036-20090910-1120.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
Welcome aboard - I fish those areas on occasion. What style hulls are on those boats? i woudl suggest something larger then a 14 foot for the areas you are intending to fish - if you are out there and the wind kicks up you are gonna get wet or worse

Are you from Va? Maryland? Pa?

Please complete your profile

I'm from DE. One of them was a semi-v and the othe was flat. thanks for the advice! I'll get on my profile now!

jasper60103 said:
Welcome aboard, Mike.

You didn't mention if you like to tinker with motors?
That could affect your buying decision as well.
There are a lot of good old 2 strokes out there, but they will require
some work sooner or later.
Marine shops generally won't work on 30+ year old motors.
They usually try to sell you a new one!
Not to worry though. They're plenty of hobby mechanics out there too.
Servicing it yourself with the help of sites like this is most economical though.
Just something to keep in mind.

True. I am capable of most repairs being a former auto mechanic, But I'm not looking for a headache either!

Thanks!

Mike

Hey man - DE - I fish there all teh time (and keep a boat there).

You might want to check this out:

"18ft Starcraft with 70 evenrude runs excellent comes with 2 fishfinders and Gps and marine radio new tires on galvanized trailer mounted rod holders with a rocket lancher rod holder aswell it is a must see ready to fish.many more extras also.very clean. asking $2,500.00 302-233-2287 ask for Dman."

I believe he said he will take $1,600.00

Captain Ahab said:
Hey man - DE - I fish there all teh time (and keep a boat there).

You might want to check this out:

"18ft Starcraft with 70 evenrude runs excellent comes with 2 fishfinders and Gps and marine radio new tires on galvanized trailer mounted rod holders with a rocket lancher rod holder aswell it is a must see ready to fish.many more extras also.very clean. asking $2,500.00 302-233-2287 ask for Dman."

I believe he said he will take $1,600.00

I looked at that on CL! Looks like a good deal, but , My budget is about half that! I can squeak some more out under the wifey radar if I break up the purchase (i.e. buy a boat and motor seperate and also get a boat that needs prettying up ;) )

Welcome aboard!
I currently run a 1440 mv jon in the same type of areas you are talking about. I plan to get a semi-v to replace it. My jon boat was fine when I mainly hunted & fished sheltered water. But now that I am hunting &fishing more open water (Mobile Bay and Mississippi Sound), its just not cutting it. I am looking a getting a wide (66-68" beam) 15-16' semi-v.
I recommend you go with a semi-v as well, all other things equal, a semi-v will ride a lot better and is a lot more seaworthy.
Be patient and find a good one, the right boat is worh the wait.

CarlF said:
Welcome aboard!
I currently run a 1440 mv jon in the same type of areas you are talking about. I plan to get a semi-v to replace it. My jon boat was fine when I mainly hunted & fished sheltered water. But now that I am hunting &fishing more open water (Mobile Bay and Mississippi Sound), its just not cutting it. I am looking a getting a wide (66-68" beam) 15-16' semi-v.
I recommend you go with a semi-v as well, all other things equal, a semi-v will ride a lot better and is a lot more seaworthy.
Be patient and find a good one, the right boat is worh the wait.

I agree. I'm going to hold out for a 16. Thanks for the welcome!

So the max hp for the Landau is 35. I'm coming off of a 500 hp CC Donzi. I'm not really looking for a speed, But I do want enough power to safely handle mild to moderate chop. That stuff rolls in pretty quick where I hang out. There is also a good deal of large boat/tanker traffic so even when it is shooth as glass.... it's not. I'm a little surprised that the hp rating is that low. What motor would you guys put on this boat if you were me? Also what would you expect to pay for said motor?

Thanks guys!

Mike

Hey Mr. Clamp was the 14ft Ryan Craft in Felton? I am looking for a 14fter and have emailed the guy in Felton who is selling a 14ft Ryan Craft. If its the same guy how did the boat look?

It looked ok. I was not paying attention to it much because he had just sold it and the guy was going to get a truck or something to pick it up. I think that guy backed out though so as of this morning it was still available. you should call him. He might still have it. I think I'm going to pass on it. I really want a 16' mod-V.

Latest posts