Polished aluminum Jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwengerd

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever polished there jon boats to a mirror finish? Also is it possible? Also wondering if there is any cons to doing this?

Thanks,Justin

I had a customer that wanted me to polish his up and make it shine. I started with an aluminum cleaner (acid type) and it ended up streaking ( even though the product swore it wouldn't) I worked on it a bunch and finally got it somewhat clean. Then I took our buffing compound and buffed a small section. It was real shiny and looked pretty good. I can tell you that in this case the faded aluminum was much cooler than the polished. I used a laser thermometer and there was a hare over 10 degrees difference. Here in Texas that is a big deal. It was a ton of work to do it and I would imagine it would be a pain to keep it that way. Plus every scratch and dent showed up even better so that was a big problem too.

There have been several guys over on the BBC forums that have done this. I would think it would be an upkeep nightmare.

Ya thats what I was afraid of , you would have to polish it everyweek. I was just considering my options thinking bout re-painting my boat this winter and was wondering if anyone knew about polishing them. Thanks for the responses.

-Justin

I had a response for you the other day, but I was waiting to receive permission from a fella on another site to post a couple pics of his boat. He lives in Georgia and says he fishes some fairly dirty water on a constant basis. The scum line he gets washes right off he says. He cleaned, polished, then sealed his rig with a product called Shark Hide. If I wouldv'e kept my Tracker PT175 I was leaning real heavily to doing my rig with the SharkHide. Another fella has had his rig treated with it for about 4-5 years and it's still looking good. Below are the pics of the Tracker rig I waited for permission for to post the pics:

normal_shark_hide_tracker_port_bow.jpg

normal_sharkhide_tracker_stern.jpg

8)

Link to Sharkhide: https://www.sharkhide.com/apinfo.html . Be sure and checkout the Before and After pics they've posted on their site.

wow thanks waterwings that is a sharp boat. That sharkhide seems to be some good stuff.

Jwengerd said:
wow thanks waterwings that is a sharp boat. That sharkhide seems to be some good stuff.

They say it takes a little elbow grease, and lots of clean rags to get it done correctly, but it does look good!

Loggerhead Mike said:
thats a sexy boat

I had an '05 PT175 w/50hp Merc, and loved it, but we didn't get to the big water (KY & Barkley Lakes) often enough to justify the monthly payments, so we sold it. You can just make out my current rig sitting in the garage (was making two boat payments :shock: )
Stbd_view.JPG

Latest posts