Sooo... I bought a boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep it or Flip it?

• Keep it?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Flip it?

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters

MrClamp

Reaction score
I ended up buying the sears 14' v hull with a 18hp Johnson (from 1959). I really didn't want a 14' and at that I wanted a wider one (I'll take some dimmensions and pics in the morning). I think it's a 1436 or 1440... although I have been wrong about the last 2 I went to look at. They were much bigger than I thought.

So my tentative plans are:
1. Leak test it ( which may be on the river tomorrow :mrgreen: )
2. Camo it up
3. Build a rear deck
4. Build a front deck ( I am aware of the decking limitations, They are going to be small and low )

I may use it a little this fall, but I think I'm just going to flip it to help pay for a 16-19ft something or other I really want to buy.

Attachments

• IMG_4374 [].JPG
    IMG_4374 [].JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 898
  • IMG_4376 [].JPG
    IMG_4376 [].JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 898
  • IMG_4377 [].JPG
    IMG_4377 [].JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 898
Man - I woudl keep that - use it "as is" for the most part and then flip it this spring if you do not like it.

That looks like a real sturdy and fun boat. A tank!

Waterwings said:
Looks to be a real nice rig, and "flippable". :)

Yeah, If I flip it, It will be in the spring, but I may be picking up that Landau 16 mod-v in a couple weeks. running out of trailer space!

I'd flip it. You can tell in your post that it is not what you really want, so no matter how much you do to it you won't be happy.

Back from the river.... well, the dock anyway. Couldn't get the motor to run right and it leaks like a siv. The leaks don't bother me that much, and I expected them. It's just a couple of rivets, needs a new drain plug, and the transom bolts (below the water line :roll: ) are leaking. The motor could be and ESO problem, I really didn't spend a lot of time messing with it. I'll play with it in the trash can this week.

I measured the bottom (wich is hard on a V) and in the center I have 43" I'm guessing it's a 1442?

so, about these leaks. I'm looking for something to seal up these 5-6 rivet that are seeping. I've read about steeflex a little, but what are some other options? I'm guessing I can't just hammer and dolly them tight and silicone them because that would just be too easy. I'm going to paint it up (hopfully this week) after I get it sealed so I would prefer to not ship whatever I need.

Thanks for ALL of your replies. They've been VERY helpful!

Mike

Vees are measured across the top for width, but most fellows just would call it a 14 foot vee, as opposed to giving it a 4 digit number.

bassboy1 said:
Vees are measured across the top for width, but most fellows just would call it a 14 foot vee, as opposed to giving it a 4 digit number.

Makes sense... And thats why I'm here! In that case, I think its 50 inches across the beam.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike,
that hull is a clean slate and
I heard good things about that johnson 18.
I wouldn't mod it.
Fix the leak and get the motor running right.
Then you have something sweet to sell or keep.
Enjoy.

It's in the back yard , off the trailer and upside down. Gonna seal it up and paint it, build a small deck in the front, install a couple seats, and sell it. I really want something bigger.

So, I have another question.... What color should I paint it? I was thinking camo (being duck season and all) but now I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

I understand about wanting something bigger. I'm a big guy and the smaller tinnies would be too unstable for me.
As far as color is concerned, I'm not a duck hunter so camo would turn me off if I was a buyer. No offense to anyone.

Bought all the paint primer and sealer... ready to go. Hopefully I'll get a coat on tomorrow in between the rain. I wet with the dark hunter green. I liked the bight blue, but my buddy talked me out of it. We'll see.

Could you maybe use JB weld. I am new to this so please forgive anything that is not possible. Thats what i used when i was 14 when i had an old farm boat, it worked well until my uncles used it for target practice :( . They didn't know i had fixed it. go figure...

Bay Chaser

bay chaser said:
Could you maybe use JB weld. I am new to this so please forgive anything that is not possible. Thats what i used when i was 14 when i had an old farm boat, it worked well until my uncles used it for target practice :( . They didn't know i had fixed it. go figure...

Bay Chaser

:LOL2: Sorry to hear it. We did that to an old Cadillac we found in the woods of Maine. By the time we were done with it it looked like it had gone through 3 Tours in Iraq.

Hey Jim,
Have you ever heard of a company called Qualexserv? I used to work for them. they are based out of Shrewsbury Ma.

Latest posts