Crack in Aluminum & Boat leaking badly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt 825

Reaction score
I have a crack on the bottom of my 12ft Jon boat that I patched earlier this year with epoxy puddy and since the boat started leaking again. I pulled the puddy off and noticed that the crack is much larger now. My question is should I look to get the crack welded now and if so where do I go?

IMG00026.jpg

IMG00027.jpg

Hi, I am a newbie here but I have had good luck with the alumiweld rods. I got them at https://www.alumiweld.com/ all you need is a propane torch, you got to get the area clean and down to bare. Hope this helps.

I'm going to say that crack was caused by stress from excessive flex in that rib. That's probably why it started leaking again. It is hard to tell from the close up pictures as to where the crack actually is.

If that is the case, it is going to need some sort of backing plate added either inside or outside of the rib to spread the load or the repair is liable to crack again.

Most areas have welding shops that take outside work. I would find one that knows their way around a tig and let them take care of it.

Yep, a location on the hull would be nice to know. Judging from the scratches it may be in the rear of the hull. Something structural has failed to cause enough flex for metal fatigue. If it is in the rear then it could be the transom brace or the transom itself is rotted causing flex/deflection. That'[s usually a pretty strong area of the hull.

You need to find and repair the structural component first, then you can repair the crack with HTS 2000 very easily; be sure to drill the cracks to keep them from running.

The crack is in the front of the boat right in the middle. It is right under where I stand in the boat (I have a bow mounted TM)

It's metal fatigue from stress on the thin hull. I've seen a lot of smaller jons that flex like a soda can between the ribs when you stand in them.

There's usually nothing structural to fix in that case... they are just thin.

Short of putting a floor in it, backing that area with more aluminum to thicken it up and possibly tying it to a crossmember is about all that you can do.

Latest posts