Is to OK to remove styrofoam from seat for battery & gastank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abunai

Reaction score
I have a 14 foot Gregor with three bench seats. I would like to have more floor space by putting the battery and gas tank in the seat. In order to do this, I have to remove some foam from the seat. Will I have enough foam left or will it be unsafe?
Thanks.

abunai said:
I have a 14 foot Gregor with three bench seats. I would like to have more floor space by putting the battery and gas tank in the seat. In order to do this, I have to remove some foam from the seat. Will I have enough foam left or will it be unsafe?
Thanks.

I'm not sure if there will be enough foam left, but you can always add some foam under the floor if you put or have a floor in it.

Not saying I recommend this: I have removed all the foam from the factory spots in my boat for compartments. I have added foam under the floor and I'm fixing to add 2 part foam to my new pods. This will be more than the factory had. I say go with it if you are comfortable with the risk.

The foam that is in most boats is the minimum it may take to keep the boat just under the surface and not allow it to head to the bottom. Taking out any of the foam will reduce the ability of the foam to keep it from sinking unless you replace it with something. You can take the foam out, but you would be wise to replace it with either foam or some 2 litre coke bottles (with caps on) or something that will hold air and keep the boat afloat.

If doing as suggested above, putting foam under your floor you will be helping this greatly.

As others noted, it will only be unsafe if you get swamped. not enought foam and, instead of "floating" level with the water, the boat sinks to the bottom of the lake.
Another consideration is liability. Take the foam out and you insurance may not cover a sinking incident, especially if someone drowns.

Latest posts