New to the board

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning!

I sure am glad I stumbled upon this site! It seems like tinboats gets alot of folks over here after seeing the youtube video. I finally have gotten serious about my Larson 1452 project (have had the boat for 5 years and never been on the water) I will be doing a forward and rear casting deck, and a few other mods but nothing serious, Minkota 30 on the bow and either a 89 Evinrude 25 or a 81 Merc 9.8 on the back. It should be a great little all around boat. Mainly I am going to use her for attacking smallmouth on the Snake river here in ID, but also will be doing some crabbing in the bays on the Oregon Coast. I am really looking forward to finishing the project now that I know there is such a great tinboat community here!

Guy

WELCOME!!!

Post some pics of your boat!

Take some pics while you are doing your work and start a thread for it. We love to see new builds!

The guys here are great people, except Ahab!. LOL!!

Welcome!!!

Do take lots of pics...I didn't and now no one knows how much work I have really done.

I have a question what is a SCANOE? I see it in your signature? Is it something different than a regular canoe or was that a typo?

BTW I think with that wide of a boat you will want the 25hp on it, I don't think the 9 will cut it.

I will take pics.... I promise. What is a good free image hosting site? Or can I upload them directly to the forum? I know my way around a wrench alot better than a computer.

A Scanoe is a canoe with a square back and a transom to mount a motor. Mine is a older coleman- they are built the same way as the old coleman crawdad jon boats, aluminum frame with a plastic hull. Its a great little boat if you are into canoes at all. I have owned my old town canoe for 15 years, but its just a one man job, so I bought this scanoe so I could take the family. It paddles good with 2 people, too much boat for one. I wanted the availability to hand my little evinrude on it when Im too lazy to paddle.

Yeah, I think Im going to go with the 25 on the Barnacle, I have 2 of them actually, a 1953 and a 1989. I think Im gonna hang the new one- its got a charging coil so I can feed the electrical system. It is a shade heavier than the '53 though. What kinda preformance do you think I should expect? Im used to the Jon boat with the 9.9 and it planes 2 people fairly well if Im light. Really anything better than that will exceed my expectations. Im not planing on building the Barnacle very heavy.
Im going to have a 6' casting deck on the front, bare floor in the middle and a small deck in the back, 3 gal. gas tank under the back seat and a 30lb Minkota, Trojan battery and a small liewell in the front.

I've got a 1652 with a 40hp and I don't know what speed i get out of it...but it's fast. (I forgot my gps that day)

I think it will be plenty fast. I too put a 6ft front deck and didn't put a back deck...although i have thought about it, but it would only be about 14" worth. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Welcome to the site.
You can take pictures right out of your picture folder.
Just make sure there the right size,no bigger then 800X600 and I think 150KB.
There are free resizing tools,theres a link on the site here.
If you have photoshop,that does it as well.

Latest posts