Old Trackers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickk

Reaction score
So I'm considering an old Tracker, like '80-'81 old. I know the hull design is pretty wack compared to modern boats but how's fishability of them? They go around the same as a 14' jon only with the ability to fish bigger(slightly) water, that's appealing to me. Should I just hold out and get something a bit newer?

As long as the hull is in good shape and the price is right, go for it.
Most tin boats used in freshwater have a very long lifespan as long as it is not damaged/really abused. An '80/81 has a lot of life left in it.
Check it for leaks, look for obvious damage and see if the wood decks (it is has wood decks?) are still strong.
Be prepared to replace carpet, maybe some wiring, etc...
Run the engine, check compression if you can. A permanent gas tank that old may have issues with water/sludge but that is hard to check. Good thing they are easily replaced.

Once again, As long as the hull is in good shape and the price is right, and you are aware that you might have to put some $$ in it, go for it. You can probably end up with a bigger boat for a lot less money.

We had one. It had a deep v and had a 55hp on it. I even fished a tournament with it, when the weather turned bad, but we still caught fish and had a good and safe time.

My brother has a 78 model Tracker, he has redone, with new wood, wood, carpet and seats. Nice boat I enjoy fishing out of it...go for it....Flintcreek.

I have two friends that have those. One is a 17ft v with a 50hp merc and the other is a 17ft mod v with a 50hp johnson. Both are great boats to fish out but i have to say i like the v hull better than the mod v. Smoother ride and seems just as stable as the mod v as they are both pretty wide. Seem pretty well built. My buddies mod v seems like tank. Very heavy but durable feeling. You can get old trackers around here in decent shape with good running motors for 1000 to 1500$. Not bad.

I had one of that vintage. I replaced the floors one winter because they were getting soft. Turned out the foam under the floors was saturated with water. I removed the foam and put in what ever the depot sells, put new wood in with the same carpet. I must have pulled a couple hundred pounds of water out of the boat. The job was straight forward, and the right thing to do.

The hull leaked from a number of rivets, and by the time I sold it had cracks in the hull in the bottom at the end of the ribs in about 10 places. I ran a 45 on it in some pretty rough water for about 8 years. The boat owed me nothing when I sold it. I still miss that boat sometimes....

Latest posts