My New (old) Monark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHILIDWG

Reaction score
I just bought this 1983 Monark a few days ago for $1700, the way you see it. Almost 17' long and just over 6' wide at the top of the sides. It has a 70hp Mercury. Runs good but needs a new water pump. There are several things I want to do to her, so any help along the way is appreciated. Have a look. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,760
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,760
Nice looking rig! Is that rear compartment sealed? With battery and/or fuel? I can't say I have seen a pair of opposite facing vents like that but I don't know that boat line.

Good lookin' rig, looks well thought out too. I would recarpet and give her a good paint job, she looks ready to fish to me!

I have seen opposite vents like that. I was told one side is for intake the other exhaust so to say. That way it keeps the air under that deck circulating so no fumes build up.

Thanks for all the comments guys, keep em comin. Yeah the vents are opposite for "cross ventilation" in the battery/fuel compartment. If it isn't sealed off, it will be when I am done with it. The boat had sat out in the weather for a long time uncovered. It took on a lot of water and I could see water leaking from underneath the boat in a couple places. Darn leaks!! So, last night with some help I removed the front deck, main lower floor and seats. Who decided foam was a good idea to put between on the supports. It blocked up all the channels so water couldn't move aft. I must have removed 100lbs of old rotten water logged foam. What purpose did it serve? Do I need to replace it? Is there a better alternative? I plan on flipping the boat, stripping the old paint, and fixing the leaks using either ALUMINOX EPOXY or having my Dad weld it for me (I never got very good with a welder). I am going to STEELFLEX the boat and repaint. I also have my hands full making sure all the wiring is correct. Someone didn't do a very good job and there seems to be alot of wiring left from older systems just laying around loose in the boat!! I do plan on fixing the trailer up too. Here are a few pics from last night. Sorry they are blurry I was using my phone.

Attachments

• b10.jpg
    b10.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b11.jpg
    b11.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b13.jpg
    b13.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b14.jpg
    b14.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b15.jpg
    b15.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • b16.jpg
    b16.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,696
The foam is for flotation. Go back with two part poly foam and you will be happier. Cover the limber holes/strake wells with something (Alum flashing, FRP or even formica) before pouring the foam so the water can move aft freely. Two part poly is closed cell and will not absorb water, it adds buoyancy, sound deadening and, to a point, ridgidity.

Looks like fun!

Hey!! New guy here. Nice MonArk!! I just picked up a 78 1644p MonArk 16 footer that looks alot like your boat!! Im not as far along as you are on my floor teardown. I just have the front casting deck pull off now.

Good luck and Keep up the hard work. It will pay off!

Ill keep an eye on this thread!

Well yours isnt the only wiring nightmare!! Mine looks like a 4 yearold wired it!!

Good luck and if your any good at wiring gimme some pointers as you go!! lol!!

No I didn't get a test ride unfortunately. I have done alot of work to it already. (will update pictures soon). I took the boat up to my uncle's house and with some help removed the motor and trolling motor and flipped the boat upside down. No easy task this thing is heavy. It took 4 of us to pick it up. I spent 2 days using a grinding wheel to expose all the rivets and bad spots. Replaced bad ones. Also had my dad weld a couple of cracks. After we removed the motor I discovered that the transom was cracked in two places and bowed out. The guy I bought it from drove around with no transom saver. Dad welded the two cracks and also welded a 1/4" piece of aluminum 8"x20" as a doubler support. Again I will post new pics of all this. I am awaiting my next paycheck to buy the Steel Flexx and paint. So in the meantime the boat is back in my cramped garage getting other stuff done to it. I rewired the entire boat!!! It def looked like a 2 year old kid did the wiring. I replaced all the switches and all the wiring (about 70 foot of it). I even installed some headlights for night fishing (I do alot of it). I also took and power washed the boat the other day. Inside and out. Like I said, I am now waiting of a funds replinishing to buy the coating and paint. Not looking forward to flipping it again, but has to be done. Still alot to be done, but i'm loving it and this will be a long winter.

Cant wait to see the pics!! Looks like work is coming along and going good!
I wish I would have got mine alot sooner. this weather isnt very good for painting. I dont have a good indoor area to do paint.
What colors are you going with?

I don't really have a good place to paint either. It barely fits in my garage and it isn't heated. I will prob brush paint it and get a propane heater. Haven't really settled on color yet, but I am leaning towards a Tan (leather) color with camo stenciling over it. The boat will also be a hunting boat. I have to buy new seats and found some two tone tan and black seats I really like. Not for sure though. What color are you going with?

Well Ive just about caught up with you today! I pulled the rats nest wiring harness and Console out, stripped rotten carpet and Deck, and removed the Foam or should I say Sponge that was under the Deck Ply. Shelly, My GirlFriend Called a friend of hers and asked if we could use Her Garage to paint the boat (which is heated!! WOO HOOOO!!) And she said yes!! Its an old Mechanics garage She inherited with air, heat, a head, and all!! I sprayed the boat off today but no real Big cleanup yet. My buddy has my only working drill to drill out the rivits on the deck carpet trim so IM waiting on him for that.

Are you going to put the 2 part foam in all the voids on your boat? I believe I am, Im also going to steelflex the bottom and easypoxy the rest. These boats were pretty high dollar in thier day! So I want to ensure mine last another 30 years!

Keep up the hard work and Keep us posted!!

oh yea! If you want to get rid of grease stained paint and a few layers of dead paint. Theres a stuff that Advance auto parts sells called Purple Power. It works!! A lil too good! if your not careful you will be looking at raw aluminum!! Which doesnt really matter since Its getting painted any way.

Later, Scott

Im retired from the Marine Corps. I believe Im going to paint it Gray and Pin stripe it like its rivited panels and paint each rivit black. Put a set of eyes and a mouth on it like the old assault boats. I had that Idea before I saw one of the guys one here so IM still going to do it, but Ill make it different enough to make mine unique. Ill prob do Charcoal Carpet and either polish the trim or powder coat it red. Im tryin to decide how to make the back deck a lil more slip proof. It looks like our boats would be a lil slick to fish off the back deck.
Also Im trying to figure out if Im going to raise and extend my front deck back to the front of the console. Also I cant figure if I want tro raise my deck either. LOL!!

I know one thing Im going to rewire this beast and do it neatly. As well as replumb the live wells!

...a set of eyes and a mouth on it like the old assault boats...

Here ya go, a WWII PT Boat. 8)

thumb_pt_boat_shark_teeth.jpg