Floor boards for a 14ft crestliner superseman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaneroni

Reaction score
Hello

I have seen so many wonderful projects for adding floors to v hull boats that it got me thinking about doing the same to my boat. Instead of using plywood, I'd like to use 2.5 or 3 inch strips and lay them down about 1/4 or 1/2 inch apart.
Has anyone done a project as such before? How thick should the wood be? I was going to use standard 3/4" pine and seal it with Spar. :idea:
I would appreciate some ideas.
Thanks

Do you mean to lay the strips lengthwise? Separated by a small distance. That would fit your boat with a wood deck conforming to the shape of the hull.
Or...do you mean to make flat floorboards of Strips?

I personally like the flat floorboard idea.
As far as using wood goes, that's just fine. The blessing of changing things with wood is that it's pretty cheap. You'll change your mind and do something different and that's gonna be Cheap too.

I've had V-hulls most of my life and have one of each now. I think (in my case I know) that installing a flat deck in a V-boat raises the CG too high and it gets real tippy.

I'm so old and unstable I never go forward of the middle seat unless I just ran the bow up onto the beach. :LOL2:

Yes I'm thinking to lay the strips lengthwise? Separated by a small distance and conforms to the shape of the boat. I was thinking this will be a very low floor perhaps a couple of inches off the bottom that way the CG is not out of kilter but it will add a bit of comfort.

zaneroni said:
Hello

I have seen so many wonderful projects for adding floors to v hull boats that it got me thinking about doing the same to my boat. Instead of using plywood, I'd like to use 2.5 or 3 inch strips and lay them down about 1/4 or 1/2 inch apart.
Has anyone done a project as such before? How thick should the wood be? I was going to use standard 3/4" pine and seal it with Spar. :idea:
I would appreciate some ideas.
Thanks

I thought about doing this. Then I started thinking about it more and I had visions of every hook falling through the spaces. Then I decided against it.

I know a guy in Port A who built a plywood on frame boat and he did his floors this way. His ran crossways (perpendicular to the LOA) to the boat though. He built in several small lift out hatches for retrieving small gear that falls between the slats and the whole floor comes out in a couple of big sections for power washing the hull on the inside. His has a glass/paint finish not spar, but the structure is the same as what you are talking about. It looks good and is very functional, kinda nostalgic, lighter than a full sole and you NEVER stand in water; that was his main reason for doing it.

3/4" pine for the slats and some 2x2 for framing will proly work out great for that floor. If you use 1 x 2 and 2 x2 it will look the same when viewed from above while you are standing on it. Using wider slats will cause the framing to look smaller; I know, it's just aesthetics but it's something to consider.

Rat said:
I know a guy in Port A who built a plywood on frame boat and he did his floors this way. His ran crossways (perpendicular to the LOA) to the boat though. He built in several small lift out hatches for retrieving small gear that falls between the slats and the whole floor comes out in a couple of big sections for power washing the hull on the inside. His has a glass/paint finish not spar, but the structure is the same as what you are talking about. It looks good and is very functional, kinda nostalgic, lighter than a full sole and you NEVER stand in water; that was his main reason for doing it.

3/4" pine for the slats and some 2x2 for framing will proly work out great for that floor. If you use 1 x 2 and 2 x2 it will look the same when viewed from above while you are standing on it. Using wider slats will cause the framing to look smaller; I know, it's just aesthetics but it's something to consider.

I never thought about having the entire floor be removable. I might need to consider this idea further. The next problem I see in my build would be that if I left a space between the slats I will need to be looking through them at pink foam insulation all day! :roll:

danmyersmn said:
I never thought about having the entire floor be removable. I might need to consider this idea further. The next problem I see in my build would be that if I left a space between the slats I will need to be looking through them at pink foam insulation all day! :roll:

If you have the foam in the seats you don't need it in the floor. I wouldn't use pink foam anywhere water could touch it anyway. But if you still wanted to you could always paint it.

i thought insulation pink foam was closed cell? maybe I'm wrong.
Interesting that that guy ran the board sideways instead of bow to stern. I wish there were pictures of it .

Latest posts