Build your own aluminum boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Sounds liked a lot of work to me, but if I had some time I might try it.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=4

FishingCop said:
That reminds me..... BassBoy, how you coming with you planned build???

Is this the fiberglass vs aluminum thing again? :D Funny the wood vs aluminum builds they have don't have a great weight difference to them.

wasilvers said:
FishingCop said:

Is this the fiberglass vs aluminum thing again? :D Funny the wood vs aluminum builds they have don't have a great weight difference to them.

We learn from healthy, friendly debates right? :D

I hope Bassboy1 sticks with his goal of fabricating his own boat from scratch.

FishingCop said:

Still going strong. Well, no work is being done on the actual boat, but working on the making the money for it part. I am getting started making decorative steel decorations, baskets, yard art, etc, as I wasn't getting it fast enough with other methods. Looking into other things to start making to sell.

wasilvers, the boat I am planning on is the 20 foot Snake Shooter from that link, with a few mods to the design. :wink: Changing the deadrise from 12 to 15 or 16 degrees, and adding a 2 foot motor extension, provided all draws well when I get the plan.

bassboy1 said:
Still going strong. Well, no work is being done on the actual boat, but working on the making the money for it part. I am getting started making decorative steel decorations, baskets, yard art, etc, as I wasn't getting it fast enough with other methods. Looking into other things to start making to sell.

wasilvers, the boat I am planning on is the 20 foot Snake Shooter from that link, with a few mods to the design. :wink: Changing the deadrise from 12 to 15 or 16 degrees, and adding a 2 foot motor extension, provided all draws well when I get the plan.

Hey BB.Have you been on the GL forums or sent an email about your mods?I know a couple people have ask about modifying plans.They were given instructions on how to do the mods or explained why the mods shouldn't be done.

Haven't talked to the people of Glen-L, but I guess I will. I had talked to a couple of professional and amateur plate alloy hull designers, and got their take on it.

bassboy1 said:

Really!?! That's the one I was looking at too. It looks like an awesome platform to start a build from. Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes when you start.

Also I took a look at your project in your signature. That was one really nice rebuild you completed! It seems you are very skilled in metal work. I'll be attempting something like that with my boat in the next year or two. The floor is 'soggy' in two areas and the front deck is just a piece of plywood on 2x6 stands the prior owner cut out with a jigsaw. He raised the seat height with a pipe extenstion so it would be comfortable. Don't get me wrong, it works great pretty good, but I can build better and have more closed in storage too.

Latest posts