7.5 merc will it work good on my 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recon2g

Reaction score
:shock: Hi all

I found a 7.5 hp Mercury for sale and need to know if I should get it as the Guy wants $75.00 for it. Has good spark and compresion. Do you think it will push my 14 foot alum ok with 2 in it?

Depends on what you consider ok.
Will it plane the boat? Maybe, depends on the load & conditions. Probably looking at a ~15 mph if you get it to plane.
It will definately scoot along at hull speed (6-8 mph).

What is the boat rated for? Its best to max out the rating unless their are HP restrictions where you are boating.

CarlF said:
Depends on what you consider ok.
Will it plane the boat? Maybe, depends on the load & conditions. Probably looking at a ~15 mph if you get it to plane.
It will definately scoot along at hull speed (6-8 mph).

What is the boat rated for? Its best to max out the rating unless their are HP restrictions where you are boating.
the boat is rated for a 15 hp but didn't know if I should pick this one up as it is cheep for down here.

thats pretty cheap make sure you run it well before handing the cash over

i had a 7.5 ted williams. it went fast enough for me but wouldnt plane out my 12 footer

Loggerhead Mike said:
thats pretty cheap make sure you run it well before handing the cash over

i had a 7.5 ted williams. it went fast enough for me but wouldnt plane out my 12 footer

thanks for the info love this site!!!!!

I would try to find a 1980s-90s johnson/evinrude 9.9 or 15 two stroke, easy to work on, reliable, indestructible and perfect for that boat.

CarlF said:
I would try to find a 1980s-90s johnson/evinrude 9.9 or 15 two stroke, easy to work on, reliable, indestructible and perfect for that boat.

Thanks CarlF, I Am looking at a 15 Evinrude right no for $200.00 looks real clean and I am trying to set up a time to go look at it...dont know the year yet I think it is mid 80's but seen photos of it.

Thanks CarlF, I Am looking at a 15 Evinrude right no for $200.00 looks real clean and I am trying to set up a time to go look at it...dont know the year yet I think it is mid 80's but seen photos of it.

x2 on that ill be looking for around the same motor come spring. need somthing with alittle more *** on the big lakes than my 3hp

Loggerhead Mike said:

x2 on that ill be looking for around the same motor come spring. need somthing with alittle more *** on the big lakes than my 3hp

Hey Loggerhead Mike, Where are all the great fishing holes along the gulf, also plan on doing some crabbing love the stone crab. :)

I have a 6HP on my 14' Alumacraft. with just me and a fishing rod it scoots around just fine. Trolling motor, battery and all my gear, not so much. it gets the job done, but an extra 4-5 HP would be great. 9.9-15HP would be ideal.

I have a '73 14ft alum Sea King with a 9.9 Force and it will plane out and go pretty quickly. The boat is rated for a max of 15hp like yours is. But, if it is only yourself and maybe one other person and gear, you could get by with a 9.9 otherwise, go for the max if you can find one.

TEDINGTON said:
I have a '73 14ft alum Sea King with a 9.9 Force and it will plane out and go pretty quickly. The boat is rated for a max of 15hp like yours is. But, if it is only yourself and maybe one other person and gear, you could get by with a 9.9 otherwise, go for the max if you can find one.

Thanks Tedington I am looking for somthing in a motor now,Found a 1994 Tohatsu 9.9 in a two stroke, have not seen the motor yet but hope to hear and see something today. I gess I am not in to big of a hurry but would like to have something before crab season. will only be myself and my better half most of the time, We hope to be able to dive from it to(as in hookah diving. :)

Fishing and Duck Hunting.

Never got into crabbing. Dont have traps or the time to check them daily.
We don't have stone crabs (well a few here and there but no targetable numbers), just blue crabs.