registering a 10foot jonboat with a 7.5 hp motor in virginia

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free jonboat

Reaction score
i have a 10 foot landau jon boat and i also have a 7.5 hp gamefisher. the boat is only rated up to a 3 hp but i see videos of people with huge motors on 10 foot jonboats on youtube all of the time. i just wanted to know, can i register it with the 7.5 hp motor on it in virginia? your comments would really be appericated. thank you :D

I think your biggest concern would be if the transom can handle it. Not sure how the landau is made, but the 7.5 will put alot of pressure on the transom and possibly cause flex cracks? Maybe someone else can give a better answer on that.
As far as registering the boat, Virginia doesn't require registering motors unless they are 25hp and over, but you will have to register it to use a motor of any kind, trolling or gas.

I'm pretty sure the transom will hold, I just replaced it with a 1 inch thick treated piece of ply wood but thank you that really helped me alot :)

Pressure treated wood will have a bad reaction with aluminum. You may want to change that out.

Its not pressure treated. Technically i guess its not even treated because we treated it ourselves by spraypainting it.

Transom strength is more how your transom ties into the side of your boat.I beefed up my corners & there is also a brace coming off the bottom of my boat up to the transom.Most of the time I run a 15 hp outboard but depending where I'm going
I run a 20 hp & even a 40 hp with no transom problems.Oh ya this is on a 1240 vee.

Attachments

• tiller 014.jpg
    tiller 014.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 642

Latest posts