Planing issues due to weight distribution

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone4140

Reaction score
Last winter I modified my 13ft fiberglass boat https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6457. Everything was great this year using it except with the added weight of two batteries in the bow section planing became an issue. Well atleast that is what I think is creating the problem. I read on a seperate post that too much bow weight can make planing difficult. So my question is if I got a larger motor would that help me plane. I really do not want to change the position of the batteries but would if it was my only remedy. Right now I have a thirty hp and wouldn't mind getting into a 40-50 if it would help. Now the boat was heavy before the mod it is an old MFG which were notoruosly heavy. And now with the decking and batteries and gear she is a beast. Handles great for the size of her I have to say, but heavy. I also tried using hydrofoils to no avail. Thanks for any input

I would try to find out what that boat is rated for before I went upping the motor size. If it is only 13ft, I can't see it being rated for much more than a 30hp. But what do I know? :?

Keep in mind that a larger motor often means more weight as well. So even if you do go up in HP size, the performance gain may be nullified or minimized by the additional weight of the new motor. From the sound of your post, repositioning some items (such as batteries) may be the only way to correct the issue you are having.

Thats a nice rig. I see it's a console steer.
Have you ever tried driving it as a tiller?
Just wondering if you move to the rear it may plane easier?
Maybe not what you want, but I'm just curious.

jasper60103 said:
Thats a nice rig. I see it's a console steer.
Have you ever tried driving it as a tiller?
Just wondering if you move to the rear it may plane easier?
Maybe not what you want, but I'm just curious.

You are sitting pretty far forward based on where your console is at. I think you are going to need to move the console back if you don't want to move the batteries. I would take both batteries and move them to the back.

Well it would probably be easier to move the batteries rather than the console. I would have to extend the deck. MAybe before winter Ill take the batteries out and give it a run and see how she does. I don't think moving myself to the tiller would help because when I have a buddy with me I try shifting them around in the boat to see if anything works and it does not do much.

You definitely have too much weight in the front of that boat. Either you need to move astern or your batteries do. Putting a bigger motor may help, just make sure you stay within the limitations of the hull. But I would bet that just moving the console aft past midpoint would get her on plane. As far as moving people around to get on plane; it doesn't surprise me that you can't get on plane with all those people in the boat no matter where they are positioned. A 13 footer with 3 guys, batteries, gear, decks etc is a pretty heavy rig. You need a 16 footer! :mrgreen:

Rat said:
You definitely have too much weight in the front of that boat. Either you need to move astern or your batteries do. Putting a bigger motor may help, just make sure you stay within the limitations of the hull. But I would bet that just moving the console aft past midpoint would get her on plane. As far as moving people around to get on plane; it doesn't surprise me that you can't get on plane with all those people in the boat no matter where they are positioned. A 13 footer with 3 guys, batteries, gear, decks etc is a pretty heavy rig. You need a 16 footer! :mrgreen:

Yes I need to either get rid of some friends or get a 16 footer. I think Ill try moving the batteries first if that doesn't work the ones who never offer to help pay launch fees are going overboard..

How does the boat ride? When you start to give it gas from idle, does the bow rise, or does it continue to push water? How does it sit (for and aft) at rest? Nose slightly up, or slightly down?

On many tiller operated boats, you can't get enough weight in the bow to combat the stern digging in. Usually, a little more bow weight is helpful. However, on your rig, you are already sitting further forward, along with 2 batteries (most boats of that size have only one), so you are probably a little nose heavy. If that is truly the case, a hydrofoil is actually going to make things worse. It is designed for stern lift.

bassboy1 said:
How does the boat ride? When you start to give it gas from idle, does the bow rise, or does it continue to push water? How does it sit (for and aft) at rest? Nose slightly up, or slightly down?

On many tiller operated boats, you can't get enough weight in the bow to combat the stern digging in. Usually, a little more bow weight is helpful. However, on your rig, you are already sitting further forward, along with 2 batteries (most boats of that size have only one), so you are probably a little nose heavy. If that is truly the case, a hydrofoil is actually going to make things worse. It is designed for stern lift.

Ya thats a good thought on the hydrofoil. It didn't seem to make things better or worse. When giving throttle the bow will go up but it will not plane. Then when I back off the bow will dig in and I get a little wet. Before the mod and the extra bow weight I could plane 3 guys off fairly easy now it doesn't with two. I think Ill take the hydrofoil off and try putting the batteries in the stern area and give it a try. If its better Ill have to rewire the boat this winter. I was hoping not to have to run heavy gauge wire all that way But I would rather be able to plane nicely.

On a all electric boat, I have found you want as much weight as possible in the front to get the speed out of it, Heck the back of my boat is barely in the water when i fish solo... well it was like that till i added 4 more batteries back there... I know gas is totally different, Just saying...