Neutral Position Switch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
So here the past couple trips i've been out I've had an issue with my boat. Sometimes I got to start it, and it won't do anything...won't even try. The first time it happened, I called my buddy while I was out on the lake, and he suggested trying to move my throttle around abit, then try it. Sure enough, it cranked over then. Now, the past couple times i've been out, i've had to do the same thing. So is there some kind of sensor in there that tells whether it it is neutral or not? Anyone else ever had this problem and how hard is it to be fixed? Hoping i've not got something thats gonna eventually give out on me while i'm out on the lake. #-o

Sounds like it isn't in neutral to me ...course as you know it want start unless it is thats why the jockying the throttle is working so you can start it... May have throttle control box issues....I am surely no expert on this matter... Just did a lilttle reading up on it for ya... Should have ask what kinda engine is it and what yr... ps also how much slack ya got in the cable could be your issue too,,, https://forums.iboats.com/Boat-Parts/Throttle-Cable... click on this hope maybe this could help yas...JIGGY

jigster60 said:
Sounds like it isn't in neutral to me ...course as you know it want start unless it is thats why the jockying the throttle is working so you can start it... May have throttle control box issues....I am surely no expert on this matter... Just did a lilttle reading up on it for ya... Should have ask what kinda engine is it and what yr...JIGGY

It's an 03' 90hp yamaha

From what a buddy told me about his old motor(which was a evinrude tho)...his had a "sensor switch" back on the motor. From what he said, something to do with the shifter mechanism back near the motor. It someway "engaged" that sensor, either allowing it to start if it "sensed" it was in neutral, or not if it wasn't. At least thats how I understood him to say it. :?

It is called a Neutral cut out switch or neutral safety switch (or at least that's what we call them). If the switch is not sensing that it is in neutral then it will not start. Most are in the control box, some are on the motor.

Looks like yours should be at the front of the motor, where the shift rod goes enters the midsection.

Mine messed me up when I first got this boat. Neutral on my motor has a little slop, so if it is not in the middle, it no longer engages the switch. I fought and fought with two separate starter solenoids, trying to figure out why they bench tested fine 12 out of 12 times, but wouldn't work at all when installed in the motor. After a couple hours of messing with it (on the lake mind you - 3 day camping trip) and a trip home for the starter solenoid off a parts motor, we finally got it. Now, if it doesn't crank, wiggle the shifter.

bassboy1 said:
Looks like yours should be at the front of the motor, where the shift rod goes enters the midsection.

Mine messed me up when I first got this boat. Neutral on my motor has a little slop, so if it is not in the middle, it no longer engages the switch. I fought and fought with two separate starter solenoids, trying to figure out why they bench tested fine 12 out of 12 times, but wouldn't work at all when installed in the motor. After a couple hours of messing with it (on the lake mind you - 3 day camping trip) and a trip home for the starter solenoid off a parts motor, we finally got it. Now, if it doesn't crank, wiggle the shifter.

Would you care to point this out to me at DH? This way i'll know what I need to replace when it comes time.

Sure, I can do that. Although, I actually found it on a wiring diagram online. Never actually had to find one of those on a Yamaha.

Latest posts