Upside down paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Legged Josh

Reaction score
Hey guys like I posted a few days ago I bought a new (to me) tin. Its a 16.5 foot Sea Nymph "Fishing Machine". My question is this; Im going to steel flex the bottom, but the boat is WAY too heavy to flip (800 pounds). If I hang the boat in my garage, would it be possible to use the paint without it running really bad?
Has anyone ever done this? Ill post pics of her when we get a sunny day...

It is a 42x28 pole barn with plenty of roof truss'. We have pulled motor tranny combos from the chainfall hooked to them. The roof is my smallest concern. :lol:

One Legged Josh said:
It is a 42x28 pole barn with plenty of roof truss'. We have pulled motor tranny combos from the chainfall hooked to them. The roof is my smallest concern. :lol:

Whew! Glad to hear it a strudy structure, as I was thinking a regular-type house garage.

I've been in the paint wholesale/manufacturing business for 11 years now, so I may be able to help. Here's the deal on paint, be it marine, automotive, industrial, or house paint. It's always better to paint on a vertical surface. Reason being, it doesn't give the paint a chance to pool in areas that are lower then the rest of the surface. When this pooling happens your paint film is much thicker than anywhere esle and all the evaporatives in the paint have real troubles escaping and ensuring a proper dried film. It takes longer for the paint to dry and it won't dry nearly as hard if you were to do thinner coats. The golden rule is 2-3 thin coats of paint is better than one thick coat. Plus it depends how your painting it. From what I've read that Steelflex is quite thick and shouldn't be a horrible problem in running. Just invest in a decent "china bristle brush" or natural fibered brush from your local hardware or box store. The cheaper you go the more of a chance the bristles will come out and stick in your paint. Mid line pricewise will do fine. Plus it's on the bottom of your boat only the fish will notice. :mrgreen:
Adam

Latest posts