brush on primer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankyfan100

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good, cheap, self etching or zinc chromate primer? I feel like you get more bang for your buck without using rattle cans. Any input?

I have used a Durolux paint on my boats. I don t think it is a zinc chromate primer or self etching, but its lasted a long time.

I brushed and used a paint roller.

I would use zinc chromate... I paid $20 for a quart and it was enough to do a 1236 jon boat with one thick coat.

I would recommend using a thinner to put another coat on - that stuff is thick!

I got it at Boaters World before they went under.. they had it on sale. There are still a few stores open, and I think most of the stuff they have now is marked down even more

Just my .02, but the spray cans seemed like the way to go. Just did mine yesterday afternoon w/ rustoleum self etch. 4 cans at $4.50/ea. coverd my 14ft. MirroCraft w/ no problem. Guess it works out to about the same price as what russ said a qt. costs. Like I said, just my .02

there's no difference between the spray cans and rolling it... I would have sprayed it in my air gun had I known I could have thinned it out...

the spray rattle cans are good stuff too - just make sure you buy the $5 gun that you put them in that has a trigger... you won't be able to use your finger for about a week with out it - not to mention it goes on a lot smoother and faster.

Latest posts