Painting over bedliner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can paint over truck bedliner? For my application, the expense of the steelflex is not feasible so I am going to use truck bed liner to seal and protect the bottom of the hull and the inside bottom (the cheap rustoleum stuff from Wal-Mart). I would like to paint over the bedline so the boat will be all one color. #-o

I'm sure there is something that will work, but I would assume it would take a specific type of paint to adhere and hold to that bedliner. Just something to keep in mind. :?

I will be putting the bed liner on next week I hope, and I'll let yall know how it turns out. I will try to start posting pics of my little project. Thanks for the help.

Go to one of the truck forums and ask the question about the paint. Many of the forums have bedliner specific forums that are frequented by representatives from different bedliner manufacturers as well as installers.

I know it can be done. I saw the Line-X guys talking about it on F150.com three plus years ago.

another member on this forum put bedliner on the bottom (outside) of his boat, and he said he wouldn't do it again because (1) it scratches/peels off when you hit rocks, limbs, etc (2) it loses some hull speed and (3) it makes it harder to go over carpeted bunks when you go to trailer it.

I think you'd be fine to put it on the inside of your boat, and then on the outside just bondo the places where you have or think you have leaks and sand it down. Then put a good self etching primer on and paint a few coats of paint over it.

You'll regret the bedliner on the outside. Don't do it.

You'll likely regret Bondo too. It doesn't like being underwater.

Contrary to popular belief, riveted aluminum boats don't just leak, and the addition of steelflex, or any other sort of sealer isn't really needed. The leaks that steelflex would fix (seepage around rivets, and the like), can be properly fixed, without much effort, and relatively zero cost.

Latest posts