Solid Rivet Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdustinc

Reaction score
When installing the solid rivets, how tight does the hole in which the rivet will go need to be? I ask because one hole I have to plug (where a bolt used to be) is just a little bigger than the 1/4" solid rivets I have. Will the rivet spread out enough to fill in the hole once it's whopped with a hammer? Will this be a problem?

cdustinc said:
When installing the solid rivets, how tight does the hole in which the rivet will go need to be? I ask because one hole I have to plug (where a bolt used to be) is just a little bigger than the 1/4" solid rivets I have. Will the rivet spread out enough to fill in the hole once it's whopped with a hammer? Will this be a problem?

It's easy enough to find out. When you install the rivet its going to mush up and fill the hole. Install one and if it doesn't spread out enough to seal the hole then drill it out and go to plan B. I would instlal one and see how it works out if the hole is only slightly too large.

That is the joy of solid rivets. If the whole isn't incredibly larger than the rivet, the rivet will fill it out. The rivet will also fill out elongated holes. There are many reasons rivets are better than bolts, and you just happened to hit on one good one.

You could use 3M 5200 if you wish, but with solid rivets, it is not needed, and be prepared for it to squirt out into your face when you tighten the rivet.

I haven't forgotten about the solid rivet how-to article I am planning on writing. I think most of the Georgia boys could vouch for the fact that the weather has been less than desirable for a bit, and I cannot go fetch that boat out of the yard.

Latest posts