Transom question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr7cat

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a new Lowe 1448M come jan for my project, I am wondering what size transom to get. What would be the advantage of the 20 inch transom over the 15, thanks.

Attachments

• dealersite%2Fimages%2Fbeechlakemarine%2Fvp1433842_3_large.jpg
    dealersite%2Fimages%2Fbeechlakemarine%2Fvp1433842_3_large.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 489
I use my 15" transom Jon for duck hunting. I have to be very careful when backing up when picking up birds and decoys so I don't get too much water over the stern.

One big advantage comes to mind if you are like me and buy used motors. It is easier to find a long shaft outboard then a short shaft, therefore the 20" transom would be the best so you won't have to worry so much about a jack plate of some sorts. Not to mention when you have that occasional rush of water over the back of a 15" transom when you stop suddenly or back up.

What size motor are you planning on putting on it? Like somebody mentioned one transom height is more commonly found on used motors, than the other. That being said, there is a cutoff where shorts are more common than longs. If you were looking for a 15 - 20 hp motor, short is more common. If you are looking for a 30 - 40 horse motor, long is more common. 25 seems to be a crapshoot, without one showing much more than the other.

That boat has 25hp max, but I am going to go with a 20 HP. Pretty big difference in price between a 20 and 25 when buying new, I know that for sure. Thanks for the input guys.

If you have read any of my post, you'll see that IF I had a 20" transom, I wouldn't have had to do as many mods. I can not think of one advantage a 15" transom has. I'm sure there is one. If you are thinking of a 4-stroke, go with the 20" for sure. The added weight of the motor makes a difference.

Latest posts