Finally got the new boat to the water yesterday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver101

Reaction score
I started a thread a couple weeks ago here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10689

Finally got a chance to put her in the water yesterday. Its a 2002 16.5' Weldbuilt with a '81 Evenrude 25hp.

Yesterday was NASTY here, but had the day off and headed to the lake late in the afternoon when the showers slacked up. Boat ran like a champ! Ran about 3 gallons of fuel (ran double oil on this trip) through it and she never missed a beat......till I cut her off at the boat ramp to go get my truck. The ground wire broke right at the starter, lol. The old pull rope fired her right up and I put her on the trailer. Got to go pick up a new end for the wire today and crimp it on tonight.

I am 200lbs, my cousin is ~290lbs, 6gallons fuel, two deep cycle batterys in the rear of the boat and the boat sits a little low in the rear end. Moved my cousin to the front and it was perfect. I am going to add two float pods to the rear when I can scrape up enough cash. I am guessing it will run around 25mph loaded like it was (much much faster than I was expecting from a older 25hp motor!!). I am going to get the gps out one night next week and test it out. Did not take any photos, just happy to be on the water.

Very nice - you do understand that adding flotation will not help the boat sit any higher in the water - the only way to do that is:

1. Lighten the load in the rear or;

2. Add additional displacement 9i.e. Get a bigger boat)

Captain Ahab said:
Very nice - you do understand that adding flotation will not help the boat sit any higher in the water - the only way to do that is:

I am not talking about floatation inside the boat.....I am talking about rear aluminum float pods attached on the transom and they do help the boat sit higher in the water. Just like the pods on the tinboats.net homepage.

that's awesome man! I can't wait to get my motor on my boat to see what it will do... now I just need to find time to go pick it up

caver101 said:
Captain Ahab said:

I am not talking about floatation inside the boat.....I am talking about rear aluminum float pods attached on the transom and they do help the boat sit higher in the water. Just like the pods on the tinboats.net homepage.

Gotcha! Yes that will certainly help

carver101,
that 25hp is a nice motor. Good power and not too heavy. I have an '81 Johnson 25hp. Here's mine idling in bucket. Pumps good water and idles down real slow.

Btw, do you know what size prop you're running? I'm thinking about getting a new prop. It should be stamped on the barrel, but you have to pull the prop off to see it.

Thanks, jasper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfBQ0_lBkfU

Next time I have the prop off I will let you know the size. I did not even pay attention to the size when I had it off last time.

update:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10844&p=110991
any help is appreciated!!

I just got a 14 sea nymph w/15 hp johnson. I weigh 190 and just have gas and fishing stuff, what should I expect in milege and speed. Thanks Spin