just plain ridiculous...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
So I am a navy contractor, I work on tons of Navy boats as an electrician. Its come to my attention that pretty much every vessel in the fleet has a small army of aluminum boats, mainly jons. They range from 10ft up to 20ft, with the majority in the 14ft range. They use these boats mainly for painting the hull of the boats they are assigned to. The ridiculous part is the Navy does absolutely nothing to maintain them, and once they are covered in paint, or dented up a little, they load them up on a forklift and throw them in the dumpster. That wouldn't be so bad if we were aloud to pull them back out and take them home, but no, once in the can, they are sent to die somewhere or sold for the scrap. I'd gladly give them a couple hundred bucks for a 16 or even a 20 footer, but Uncle Sam says NO...

work out a deal with someone on the inside... they won't be missing one if it's to end up in the dumpster. You could always go and talk to someone about Fraud, Waste and Abuse.... that will get those boats out on the market.

You would be surprised what we come home with because we can't turn some stuff in for exchange... servers, routers, computers, panel boxes... and TONS of copper wiring/tubing

I agree that sucks. I think I would be giving someone some of those $100 hand shakes to see if I could get away with one. That would be awsome to get a hold of some good cheap tin for projects.

The military does this kinda thing with alot of things. Most of the time the stuff goes to DRMO. I can't remember what that stands for. Yes once in the dumpster, it has to go. The secret to getting that kinda stuff is getting your hands on it before it hits the dumpster and is logged in to go to DRMO. Also there are DRMO sites around the country that have some of this stuff for purchase. As with all things government, it's all about who you know. My recommendation is get close to someone who deals with the boats and work out little "drug deal"

Yeah, I'm well aware of the "auctions" DRMO has, I just had to go drop some antennas and domes off at the spawar wharehouse and passed the drmo lot. I also know all too well about all the other stuff that gets thrown away like routers and servers and stuff like that. Right now we're doing a huge mod to SSES on the Iwo Jima, and we threw away what had to be literally close to a million dollars worth of computer racks and other "junk". I'm tryin to find someone to talk to about these boats tho. I could definitely get used to the idea of a near free 1652...

Best way to get one is to find the ENLISTED guy who is in charge of the boats. Try to find the senior enlisted sailor in charge of the boats and work something out with him. It may take some doin' but it will be well worth your time in the long run. You will most likely end up with the thing free of charge. Just gotta know how to work the system.

Just remember, is that boat you "find" next to the dumpster worth your job? I know a couple of autoworkers have found out the hard way.

Crankworm said:
Just remember, is that boat you "find" next to the dumpster worth your job? I know a couple of autoworkers have found out the hard way.

I work for a Navy contractor also and it make me sick :evil: seeing the tons of aluminum, and various other scrap thrown away.

But, like Crankworm said, Is it worth your job!!!

Offer to buy all of the scrap aluminum. Take what you don't want to the recycler make a few $$$.

Specknreds said:
Crankworm said:

I work for a Navy contractor also and it make me sick :evil: seeing the tons of aluminum, and various other scrap thrown away.

x2

If you look under GSA auctions you can find many off the items you have mentioned being sold to the public. I saw 20 tin boats several years ago being sold at the Air Force base in Biloxi Ms. Sealed bids. May be listed as a LOT or individually. I know of one 16' john boat go for 150.00.It was well used but still serviceable. You can get on GSA mailing list. You must pay with a cetified Check. Check it out.

Frank

Ive watched alot of stuff get thrown out that just doesnt make any sense!! Government liquidations dot com usually has alot of stuff on auction!

Just a note. The DRMO has a center that you can check on stuff they are going to resell. Stop by there and tell them about the boat or boat's your interested in. Then get the date and time they are going to remove the current boat from use and take it to DRMO. Stop by the center and give them name and number. They should call you or give you a date on when it will be logged in and When you can pick it up. We used to take all kinds of stuff to DRMO. They will work with you on it.

Mike

caveman said:
Specknreds said:
Crankworm said:

x2

x3.

I spent a lot of time wandering around the DRMO's when I was active duty, and they do sometimes have some cool stuff, but never saw any boats. Of course when I was active duty the last thing I wanted to see was another boat, lol. :shock: