New guy with a Crestliner.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadnbrass

Reaction score
Hey all...

Just stumbled across this forum...impressed thus far. Nice to see a site dedicated to "tin boats". I've always been a aluminum boat fan, big and small for as long as I can remember.

I currently have a '05 Crestliner Canadian 14 Tiller. It has a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke as I mainly fish hp limited lakes.

I've been looking for a 25hp 2 stroke to expand my fishing locations...boat is rated for a 40hp but I think a 25hp will suffice.

It's pretty deep (which I like) and fishes a couple guys great...livewell, Bilge, Lights...just like a "real" boat only smaller.
A few pictures of my boat from a few years ago.

Note: Trailer in picture was not the one I bought. I ended up with a Tennessee Trailer bunk with 12" wheels.

P1070005-1.jpg

Inside:

P1070008-2.jpg

P1070006-2.jpg

Once again...rally enjoying the site...I plan to stick around and add my .02

Matt

That is a nice little boat. I think I told you this in another forum but GO WITH THE 40! You'll like it!

That's a nice boat. Be careful when you decide to repower it,
being a 14 footer and a tiller steer you really need to consider the added weight.
Personally, I would consider a 25 or 30hp 2-stroke.

Nice looking boat,looks well set up.
If it's rated for a 40hp tiller it will handle it fine.
Does it plane with the 9.9hp?

It doesn't plane with the 9.9, The boat is rated for a 40hp and a sticker on the transom states max weight for the motor is 252 lbs. Max weight capacity of the boat is 1010lbs.

I'm 6'7 and 270-275. So with another buddy or my wife and son plus bow mount troller, two batteries, Fuel, Tackle, Cooler etc...I would be real close to the limit.

The rear seat I control from sits real far back so its pretty stern heavy even with the 9.9.

I would like to stick with a 2 stroke for the weight, on the boat and off since I would be switching motors depending on where I fish.

I've been playing around with weight distribution to get the most out of the motor I have now but haven't really been awful successful.

Do they make float pods for a deep vee? :wink:

I'm a fairly new guy here, only with an OLD Crestliner! :wink: Your motor question~a 30 hp would be enough, maybe even a 25. A 40hp tiller on a 14' boat like that strikes me as being too much weight back there. Not saying the hull/transom couldn't take it, but you might get your rear end wet! Seriously though, with 2 guys in the boat I STILL think it would be too much, forget about operating it on your own. YIKES!

For comparison's sake, my nephew has a 16' Lund Laker/tiller with a 30hp Merc. (2 stroke, I think) It has a floor, livewell, similar set-up to your boat. His boat can really move with that motor, and the two of us in it. The weight involved between us? About 600lbs., not including gear. (won't say who is carrying the lion's share :oops: ) Consider that his boat is probably a little heavier than yours.

I'm usually a "get the biggest it'll take" kind of guy, but suggesting a BIG tiller for your boat really isn't a great idea in my opinion.

Cheers,
Rob

leadnbrass said:
It doesn't plane with the 9.9, The boat is rated for a 40hp and a sticker on the transom states max weight for the motor is 252 lbs. Max weight capacity of the boat is 1010lbs.

I'm 6'7 and 270-275. So with another buddy or my wife and son plus bow mount troller, two batteries, Fuel, Tackle, Cooler etc...I would be real close to the limit.

The rear seat I control from sits real far back so its pretty stern heavy even with the 9.9.

I would like to stick with a 2 stroke for the weight, on the boat and off since I would be switching motors depending on where I fish.

I've been playing around with weight distribution to get the most out of the motor I have now but haven't really been awful successful.

Do they make float pods for a deep vee? :wink:

DaRn!! Your a lil feller Aint ya?!!! LOL!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/YTHJfwece0c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/YTHJfwece0c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Latest posts