New guy with an old MonArk 1442

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yak_n_fish

Reaction score
Hey Y'all

Great site! I'm very glad to have found it and have already learned a few tips and tricks. I am very impressed with the mods and rehabs that have been done on the boats. =D>

I'm posting a couple of pics of my "flat boat" in hopes that it will help me finish the project.
Flat_Boat003.jpg

Flat_Boat005.jpg

The story behind the boat is that my Dad bought this for my brothers and me back in 1983 for use around our little camp in Pass Christian, MS. My brothers and I loved this boat to death (that is we beat the snot out of it every day in those summers) and did almost nothing to maintain it. We cruised the bayous and Bay St. Louis with the Johnson Seahorse 15hp engine that took a lot of abuse and very little maintenance. Fast forward to 2005 when Hurricane Katrina made landfall basically on top of our house there and put this boat about 10 ft up in an oak tree. Fortunately, the anchor rope had wrapped around the tree and held it there, even though the chain holding the bow handle had ripped it from the bow (chain was around the tree for security purposes). The house was reduced to a slab, but our little boat was there in the tree. I climbed up, cut it down and eventually purchased a trailer and towed it home. It has sat in my back yard since then and only recently I've started the project. The engine sat underwater for a few days but actually didn't move far from where it had been stored. Amazing that an entire house can blow away, but a 15hp engine will lay just about where it was.
As you can see, the transom wood was split and the port side was banged up pretty good. I have started the process of replacing the transom with 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood that I have coated with West Systems. The engine was torn down, scraped all of the corrosion from around the cylinder heads and throughout the water jacket so that it will actually cool the engine, and carb rebuild is in the plans. I still need a few more coats of epoxy on the transom wood and then I plan to replace the brackets and engine mount plate with Stainless Steel bolts, washers and nyloc nuts. I was leery about using the SS hardware below the waterline because of the potential for corrosion, but since this boat will be trailored to and from the water, I'm hoping it won't be an issue. I looked into getting solid aluminum rivets, but that seemed to be a lot of hassle and needed special tools, patience and experience with riveting that I just don't have.
I plan to use this boat in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta river system as well as the saltier water of Mobile Bay.
I am also planning to paint the boat after I've replaced the transom. I bought 3 spray cans (all they had) of self-etching primer from Autozone, but I'm wondering if that is going to be enough to do 2 coats on this rig? I am also planning to use Parker Duck Boat paint from Cabelas. I want a duck boat look without the camo patterning, for now. After having seen all of the great mods that y'all have done, I've also started thinking about a storage area in the middle bench seat and possibly even decking? Also thinking about upgrading the trailer to 12" wheels.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, say "Thank You!" for having an awesome site/forum and also ask for input. I appreciate any suggestions and wisdom that y'all have to offer.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Hey Man!! Welcome to Tinboats! Great Story and Great Boat you got there. Cool thing about southern Folk is, You can Take everything they got but you cant Make'm Quit! And you can't keep'em Down!

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all.

Specknreds, small world ain't it? I bet we've even fished in some of the same spots. :lol: Once I get this baby back up and runnin', I plan to take her back over to Pass Christian for a spin.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

yak_n_fish said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all.

Specknreds, small world ain't it? I bet we've even fished in some of the same spots. :lol: Once I get this baby back up and runnin', I plan to take her back over to Pass Christian for a spin.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Just let me know when and I'll meet you at the ramp with my boat. I'm about 6 miles from the Jordan River Shores launch just West of Kiln,MS. I don't fish the Bay very much anymore, but I find myself there once a month or so just because it is so close to the house. If your ever in for a Breton Sound/Biloxi Marsh trip out of Hopedale,LA, let me know. We are usually there about every weekend as long as I keep the wife happy :D . We have been limiting out the last 4 trips and it should get better the colder it gets.

Specknreds said:
If your ever in for a Breton Sound/Biloxi Marsh trip out of Hopedale,LA, let me know. We are usually there about every weekend as long as I keep the wife happy :D . We have been limiting out the last 4 trips and it should get better the colder it gets.

Now you're talkin'! I'm always down for some Louisiana Big Dumb Reds (BDR's). They'll eat anything and I'll eat them. Love me some redfish on the halfshell!

Speakin' of which...I need to post that recipe up in the Recipe section.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Ok...it's been a while, but I'm making little bits of progress as I can.

I finished coating the transom wood (2 pcs of 3/4" ply) with West Systems epoxy and yesterday I used gorilla glue to bond the pieces together. I ordered the Parker Duck Boat paint from Cabela's and it should be here next week. Flipped the boat on the trailer to start sanding the hull and made a quick pass with a 60 grit sanding pad on one section. Then it got too dark. Man, I wish I had a garage! :lol: Now that it's getting dark early and with my work schedule, I'm kind of stuck to doing the work on weekends...and this Saturday is the opening of gun deer season here in AL. "Progress " might take a hit for the next little while, but I figure if I post up on here I'll be motivated to continue.

Now, when I lined up the plywood on the transom it seemed to fit OK, but I'm concerned that it might be a little too thick and that the support bracket isn't going to line up with the holes in the hull and transom OR that the wood won't be flush against the aluminum transom. Hoping that when I put the bolts in from transom to wood that it will tighten up and fit like it's supposed to. It may be that I have to chisel or plane the wood down some, but I really hope not. I'm wondering if the epoxy will let the wood flex but not crack if I have to crank the bolts down real tight.

Y'all have any experience with that situation? Tips are much appreciated.

I'll try and take some pictures soon...

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Well, looks like it might be a bit longer before I paint the boat...

I was supposed to get the order from Cabela's today. I looked up the UPS tracking info for the package and found:

11/20/2009 4:56 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
11/20/2009 1:10 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS

Doh! There is a UPS truck driving around with some very fine OD green paint dripping out the back. :shock: :lol:

I feel for the driver on this one. They probably noticed the package leaking and went #-o

Looks good. I'll be interested to see your progress. I have a 1652 MonArk that I'll be starting a redo on in the near future. BTW I'm from the Evergreen/Andalusia area. :)

Thanks Crete! Good deer hunting up that way from what I understand. A buddy of mine skipped the Iron Bowl to go sit in the woods near Evergreen today. (He's an Auburn fan, of course :lol: )

I was able to spend a few minutes yesterday pre-drilling the holes in the new transom wood. Accidentally took a chunk out of the underside on one of the holes when I tried to fast track it with the large drill bit instead of using a smaller one to drill a pilot and then finishing with the larger bit. Lesson learned.

Cabelas was nice enough to re-ship the paint and it should get here next week. I always thought they were kind of high on the shipping charges, but I guess it's ok because they seem to take care of things like this with minimal hassle.

I hope to get some work done over the weekend if I'm not fishing or hunting.

yak_n_fish

Got the paint from Cabelas! =D>

Now, I just need the time and the right weather to finish sanding, priming and start painting. Oh...and it's the holidays....and still haven't seen a shooter buck. So glad we get a long deer season here in AL. This project may get delayed a bit. :oops:

Finally got some work done! :D I sanded and put 2 coats of primer on the hull and topside. It took about 11 cans of the Rustoleom Self-Etching Primer. I appreciate the tip on using the spray handle and thanks to whoever mentioned that in another thread. Next up is putting the transom board in and then painting with the Parkers Duck Boat paint.
Here are some before and after shots:

Attachments

• DSC02990.JPG
    DSC02990.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,338
  • DSC02988.JPG
    DSC02988.JPG
  • DSC02997.JPG
    DSC02997.JPG
  • DSC02992.JPG
    DSC02992.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,338
  • DSC02998.JPG
    DSC02998.JPG
So we had some rain overnight last night and I did not have the boat covered :oops: There was some water in the boat this morning and I noticed a spot where the primer had peeled up in the chine. I will have to touch that up. I also noticed that there is some black looking dust that wipes off. Do I need to sand the primer coat? Can I just wash it with some water or soap & water?

Also, when I put the transom wood on and started bolting it in, there were a few places where the holes didn't line up perfectly. I drilled them out more and now have some figure 8's and over-bored holes. Do I need to fill the voids with more epoxy? Can I just overfill with 5200 or Marine Goop? or should I just crank the bolts down and not worry about it?

I appreciate any tips and info.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

yak_n_fish said:
Also, when I put the transom wood on and started bolting it in, there were a few places where the holes didn't line up perfectly. I drilled them out more and now have some figure 8's and over-bored holes. Do I need to fill the voids with more epoxy? Can I just overfill with 5200 or Marine Goop? or should I just crank the bolts down and not worry about it?

I appreciate any tips and info.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Just checking back in to see if y'all had any insight on the above questions. Hope to get some more work done when the weather cooperates.

Thanks!
yak_n_fish

Got the transom in and used some 5200 on the bolts that hold the angle support to the bottom and the transom. I'm hoping it doesn't leak [-o<

Also got the engine mostly put back together and after a bunch of pullin' and a trip to the gas station for new gas....she fired up and ran like a champ for about 30 seconds. My buddy (who has let me work on the engine in his shop for about 2 years :oops: ) and I were high fivin' and yee-hawin'. Going to do a carb rebuild and replace the fuel line.

I have a few primer touch-up spots to do from where it was a little damp when I shot the self-etch primer on there. Then I'll paint with the Parker's Duck Boat paint and let it cure for a few weeks. Should be ready about the time that the crappie (sac-au-lait) are ready to be snatched from the sunken tree tops and the speckled trouts start schoolin' on the oyster flats. Bring on the Spring! :D

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Welcome. Like yer enthusiasm.

I would fill the "over drilled" holes with something to seal out the elements just to be safe.

Latest posts