help : best 12 foot/3person tinboat for pickup truck bed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d john pickering

Reaction score
a newbie problem

My coleman crawdad (12 feet long ) fits safely into my crew cab truck box- it's not too heavy or bulky to handle. My fisher girl daughter is now 7 and to be safe i need aproper 3 person boat!

because i don't want to trailer i need a tinboat that:

* is about 12/13 feet long
* floats 3 persons
*takes a 6 hp motor or thereabouts
*can be loaded into the truck bed

My thanks to all responders, regards

d john

I would look into a 1236 jonboat if I were you. Typically abit heavier than a 1232, but the added stability is definetly worth it. :beer:

I think you would be fine with any 12ft V Aluminum. Most would be rated for at least 10hp and 3 people.

Usually lots around used and many new...I figure around 125lbs so loading into a pickup isnt that bad.

what kind of truck do you have?

I've got a 97 Silverado Long bed that will easily hold a 1236 (I had one, an Alumacraft that easily sits 3 people and was rated for a 15hp motor)

I've also got a 95 Nissan pickup longbed that would only hold a 1232... It's a fisher marine but very stable and will also hold 3 people. I can't remember the HP rating, but I think it was a 15 also..

both boats were heavy gauge aluminum though - that makes a BIG difference. I've got a 1232 that is thin aluminum and I don't even like fishing in it by myself

If it were me I would opt for the 1236. Having a small child in a narrower boat could get a little hairy sometimes if they're like mine was and can't sit still. My 1236 is rated for 10hp which moves it along just fine. Remember that the all welded ones are heavier than the riveted ones so you might want to keep that in mind. I don't know what area you're from but here in MN with duck season going on, there are lots of jons on Craig's List at the moment. You should be able to find good used if that is what you want (I wish somebody would buy mine). Good luck.

Latest posts