how to loosen stubborn pedestal seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancocasrich

Reaction score
My pedestal seats are very difficult to turn. I just shot some WD40 down in the turn area. Is that the only answer? Is there a better way to make them turn easier? I have a 14' Lund aluminum. Thanks.

I had the same problem. I took some emery cloth and sanded the male part down. The only negative is I think I removed some of the protective finish and it started rusting. They say stainless. It must not be a very good grade. Also keep in mind that I'm in heavy saltwater which will corrode anything.

On my boat the female part is metal and the male part is hard rubber. The seat rotates within the female hard rubber part. It is "fixed" in the "male" metal floor fitting.

Wd 40 is good for alot of things but I try not to use it as a lubricant.
Something with silicone or teflon would probably be longer lasting/better.
I like a product called fluid film,lasts along time,doesn't hurt the rubber.Used it on salt water engines and parts.

they make this stuff in an orange can that work well for lubricating - Jig-A-Loo... I think I got it at Home Depot or Lowes... works great on doors in the house, and there's no residue

I also use stuff called PB Blaster for breaking hard nuts/bolts loose... might work well for that too

Constant Velocity Grease works fine or bearing grease. Just use something that's thick. I've used the CVG for years and only have to lube em up about twice a year.

Latest posts