New Guy With New Boat (new to me)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okielawman28

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First off I would like to say that I really enjoy the site. 2nd, I just came into an old 14ft 1959 Crestline, and I plan on turning it into pure fishing madness.

My significant other can not see it for what it can become she just see's it for the money that needs to be spent on it, lol.

The hull is great, pics to follow in a day or two, no dents at all, surprisingly, and no leaks. All strait as an arrow. It came with a 25 hp, 1992 Johnson motor and a console with all the hardware that the previous owner had came across from a small bass boat that had been hit by a tree in an ice storm.

With a little tinkering the motor was running and idling in one day with only $27 dollars spent to date. I traded a 4 yr old snapper riding mower for the boat and think I came out realy well. The motor needs a few things but other than that it is going good so far. The motor cost quite a bit of money I later found out, and so the motor was worth the trade I believe.

First thing to order is some paint for the bottom, the consensus is steelflex I guess that was spelled right, but anyways, I will update with pics. How much does that stuff run, and about how much will it take to paint the bottom of my boat.

Anyways, I will keep chatting and posting updated pics as the winter wears on, I need to get the steelflex on the bottom before it gets any colder here in oklahoma. GO SOONERS!!!!!!!

Welcome to the site! Can't wait to see the pics of your new boat. I might be wrong, but I think that alot of guys are using the steelflex to help seal up leaks in their boats. If yours has zero leaks in it, you could probably find a paint alternative that is a little easier on the wallet. Just painted mine this week and had a grand total of $67 in it (4 rustoleum etching primer spray bombs, 1qt. rustoleum marine primer, 2qts. rustoleum marine paint, 1qt. thinner). Not sure if cheap was the way to go, but I didn't read any bad reviews for the paint, so I think it will hold up just fine. Have fun with your build!

Congrats on the New Boat and Welcome Aboard tinboats!! Im a pretty new guy too! This site is addictive as Crack!!

Let see some Pics of your Classic Tin!!

Here is a pic of the boat the day I brought it home, and the way it looks now, no pics of the inside though, but it is nice and sweet and strait, and no dings or dents, way way shocking considering the age of the boat.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 619
Nice looking boat.
As stated before,if you don't have any leaks or aren't going to use the boat in alot of shallow areas,steelflex may not be needed,just a good painting....not that I think it needs one.Looks fine the way it is:)

I think steelflex is a great idea. If you ever beach the boat or run shallow you will be protected and its really not that expensive I havent bought it in a few months but last time I did it was 68$ a gal. and all you need is 1 gal. I wish I would have done that to mine.